Hello everyone,

My name is Clint, and after living in Boston for several years now, I just recently felt the itch to get back into fishing. I used to live in NJ and fished the various trout rivers and bass ponds in northern NJ and then stripers/blues at the shore, but now I am trying to learn more about fishing the Boston area.

This past year, I spent some time with a spinning rod working Brookline Res, Crystal Lake, the Charles, Spy, etc, and I have yet to pull out anything over 3-4 lbs. I also picked up a fairly cheap saltwater spinning rod and put in some hours at the Charlestown locks, but after a couple of big hits and broken lines, I never did pull out a striper.

With the lack of a car, most of my trips are by T, commuter rail, or zipcar, but I am always looking to pair up with someone with similar urban fishing ways. I would really love to put in some hours (even in this cold) to try to land something around 5lbs or get back into trout fishing, but it seems as though all of the good rivers are in Western MA or CT. I would also be open to working some estuaries or beaches if anyone is keen on late season stripers.

Anyone in Boston trying to keep up the fishing this winter?

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 am

Yo, I have never tried to striper fish from Boston, but looking to start. I don't even no where to begin? I figure I would use my peacock bass gear.

I will be catching bass in the Charles until if freezes, hopefully it doesn't get completely frozen. Me and everyone else with a pole fishes the Muddy River mouth. I'm pretty consistent, every Sunday morning till spring I'll be there. Every species in the river stack up there for the winter. Lot of carp fisherman there.

Forgot my gloves this morning, brrrrr! Only lasted a hour, but got 5 fish. Slim chance of finding a 5lb though. You may get a few 4's through out the winter.

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Staying close to public transport - for stripers you can try Pleasure Bay in South Boston. You could also try the Neponset River below the dam in Milton/Dorchester and various points along the harbor walk down my the JFK library.

For freshwater you left the Emerald Necklace ponds off your list including Jamaica Pond, Wards Pond, and Leverett Pond. Turtle Pond off Eneking Parkway is about a mile walk from Washington Street. And you can always catch a bus out to West Roxbury / Dedham to fish the Charles upstream.

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links