Back in the 80s I purchased a Fenwick FF806 fly rod. I had been pretty engaged with fly fishing in middle school (early 70s) but could never afford a "good" rod. After I finished college I treated myself to the Fenwick (purchased from the old Stoddards on Temple Place in Boston, a lost treasure if there ever was one) ...but I never, ever used it. It has been traveling with me through life these many years, a constant reminder of a past passion.

In recent days I find myself once again drawn to the idea of fly fishing. I am scouring the web, reading message boards and window shopping combos at Orvis, LL Bean and other emporia, sucking up information at internet speeds. I am thinking that I really should get a new graphite fly rod when I stumble upon the web site [url]fiberglassflyrodders.com[/url], a site dedicated to, you guessed it, fiberglass fly rods. It turns out that I own one of the all time classic glass rods and didn't even know it.

So I, blew the dust off the rod, ordered myself a new fly reel and line and will spend the next few months preparing for the upcoming trout and bass season. I know of a pond that would be perfect for flyfishing poppers and streamers for bass...from a kayak, of course. Wink

For those of you interested in a little Boston fishing history:
http://maineantiquedigest.com/articles_archive/articles/jun04/stoddard0604.htm

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 am

Welcome back to fly fishing. I followed your links and found some really interesting stuff. Thanks.

I've been fly fishing since the late 1990's. There is no better way to fish.

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am

I'm hoping I can roust up some interest for fly fishing on this site, just like am for kayak fishing. It's such a great way to commune with nature.

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm

berkleegrad

I'm hoping I can roust up some interest for fly fishing on this site, just like am for kayak fishing. It's such a great way to commune with nature.

Fly Fishing Kayak Tournament next year Wink

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm

You read my mind Wink

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:31 pm

berkleegrad

That would be nice. MAFF is a nice site but there's not a lot of fly fishing activity, and that's pretty much the only type of fishing I do.

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I would recommend that you start posting your trips, preferably with photos. After all, that's the kind of content that most of us love to read because it helps us all to become better fisherman. You might be surprised how many flyfishers or potential flyfishers come out of the woodwork.

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links