new to carp fishing wondering if any body knows of places to go like ponds lakes rivers where they have seen some carp!!!!!!!

THANKS Very Happy

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:52 am

im personally not very good at carp fishing, but i remember that bedlem had posted some trips a while ago on Carp fishing and seems very knowledgable on the subject...might want to try and PM him to see what tips he might have.

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 pm

i will do that1 but would still like some info from fellow fishermen who have seen these fish in so of the waterways they fish . i'm new to carp fishing myself so any info will help thanks again

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:47 am

Kevdogg, I grew up fishing in Waltham. the charles river on that end is loaded with carp. little coves and inlets everywhere. there is a place called whites bridge at the end of weord ave. nice little spot where you can set up camp. quardrail for rod support. you will need a good heavy action rod, at least 20lb test mono. alot of heavy cover that you will have to work them out of. I have always used sunbeam bread, two slices, peeled off edges folded around the hook. make a nice dough ball, get it a little wet and pack it in. straight out from the bridge is a tree overhanging, very active spot.
i use a makeshift, I don't know what there called but it lightly holds the open bailed line to the rod. so when the carp start running, you'll know it.

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 pm

thanks jhonny

Posted Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:50 pm

You may want to try the Merrimack River, Connecticut River, Concord River, Lake Mascuppic in Tyngsboro, Twin Ponds in Nashua, NH., Horseshoe Pond in Merrimack, NH. and the Beaver Brook in Lowell and Dracut, MA. All of these waterbodies have Carp in them but if you're looking for the bigger ones, I suggest you try either the Connecticut River or the Merrimack River. Also make sure you join my new club Carp Hunters. I just started it a few weeks ago on here so theres only 1 member other than me so far. I'm an avid Carp angler..... I won a fishing derby at twin ponds in Nashua, NH. in 2007 for catching the biggest fish which of course was a Common Carp!

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

thanks for info and i will join can't wait for the weather to get nicer

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 am

i'm from lawrence and right above and below the essex dam is really good

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Troutluster is absolutely right. Not only is the area upstream and downstream of the dam a good spot for carp but it's also a good spot for Striped Bass during the spring run. Most people don't know it but the Stripers are very active especially at the bottom of the dam during that time! If ever in the area check out DiGloria's Sport Shop on Merrimack Street in Methuen..... They have almost anything you may need for Carping, Stripers, etc.... They have plenty of different kinds of livebaits including freshwater and saltwater as well as some very effective carp bait. When you open the carpbait you may wonder what fish will eat this due to the fact that it literally smells like crap but trust me.... It works! Very Happy

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:59 am

well if you need the info,......... there were people in lawrence where the shawsheen meets the merrimack today.... fishing for the carp.... on the average they are 17 lbs. try it out there and all down the shore....

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Going Carp Hunting in an hour and also again tomorrow morning!

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 am

I thought I should post this so that everyone can see for themselves that it is perfectly legal to use corn as bait in the state of Massachusetts unless you are fishing in a designated catch-and-release area where it IS PROHIBITED! Here's the reply I got from Mass Wildlife after I sent them an e-mail asking them what the true rule is when it comes to corn being legal or not. Check it out:

RE: To whom it may concern, I was told the other da...‏
Sent: Wed 4/22/09 2:59 PM
To: Jason Carl (jaycarl3583@hotmail.com)

Dear Jason, Corn in legal to use throughout the Commonwealth except in the areas you mentioned. If it was illegal, you would have seen it mentioned in the Prohibited area. ************************************************************* www.mass.gov/masswildlife Subscribe to MassWildlife News, a free electronic monthly news letter updating you on research, events, new laws and other agency activities. All you need to do is send an email to: Join-MassWildlife.news@listserv.state.ma.us
MassWildlife serves you from the following Offices: Western District, Pittsfield 413/447-9789--Conn.Valley District ,Belchertown 413/323-7632--Central District, W. Boylston508/835-3607--Northeast District, Acton 978/263-4347--SoutheastDistrict, Bourne 508/759-3406 Westborough Field Headquarters 508-389-6300 Make an Investment in Massachusetts' Wildlife and HabitatManagement--Purchase a fishing or hunting license, make a donation tothe Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Fund or the Wildlands Fund -----

Original Message-----From: Jason Carl [mailto:jaycarl3583@hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:08 PMTo: Massachusetts fishandgame
Subject: To whom it may concern, I was told the other da...

To whom it may concern, I was told the other day that it is illegal to use corn as a bait or chum when carp fishing in the state of Massachusetts. I've been researching this so-called law on the Mass Wildlife website but the only thing I can find anywhere on the website about corn is that it is prohibited as bait or chum when fishing in designated catch-and-release areas. Are designated catch-and-release areas the only places in the state of Massachusetts where corn is prohibited or is it prohibited entirely? If it is prohibited entirely could you please reply with the section of the rules and regulations where I can find this law so I can pass it on to others. I mean if it is prohibited then it should be clearly stated in the rulebook otherwise no-one is going to know that it is prohibited. I have searched in the rules and regulations section many times to see if there is ever a clearly stated rule about corn being prohibited and never once have I come across any such rule with the exception of it being prohibited in designated catch-and-release areas of the state. I have been told from many people that corn is one of the best baits that you can use to catch carp and want to try it out once I get my license but thought I might want to get the official word from the Dept. of fish and wildlife in Massachusetts before going ahead and trying it out. Again, please let me know if there is such a rule of it being prohibited in any way other than catch-and-release areas and if so please let me know where I can find the rule on the Mass Wildlife website or in the abstracts. Thank You very much!

Sincerely,

Jason Carl
_____________________________________________________Rediscover Hotmail(r): Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates2_042009

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Geesh I've been away too long heh..my computer has an inch of dust on it since I've been on the water pretty much non-stop lately.

As far as corn goes..yes it is legal in most places, as with chumming. Many times Trout waters or certain areas have restrictions and then the rumor mills of its illegal everywhere start. ALWAYS CHECK THE LOCAL RULES FIRST, of course, but most places it is ok to do so.

For instance, in Ma I can chum the Blackstone river and use corn, however in RI near Lincoln and Cumberland they stock trout in the Blackstone river and therefore we cannot use corn or chum. The canal in that area however is fair game for chumming ( I wrote em and asked since we have a ride and fish event coming up near the Kelly house on May 24th)

Posted Fri May 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Kevdogg is that you? All the major rivers in MA have them, also most ponds and lakes. I am co-chair of MA Carp Anglers Group
http://www.bitemebaitco.com/Carp%20Corner.htm

http://www.bitemebaitco.com/Elmer/photogallery/Larry%20Fish/carpkev22%20010.jpg[/img]

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links