Here are a few pictures I took on my last Salmon River trip. Mouse over a thumbnail to enlarge the picture, click on a thumbnail to fully expand the picture.

http://www.connectwithbob.com/fishing/pulaski-dec2009.html

Posted Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Congrats! is this your couple of time that you went to salmon river, NY?

I have been "regularly person" be there for last four years. I went there at last year.

here is my Summary. this is only 1/4 photos that I just put together for my friends that I went with. (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-7KKUlhvXI

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 am

Great slide show. You certainly had a successful trip. Congratulations.

My brother and I had thought of going this year but decided now isn't a good time. Maybe next year.

I have a longer report with more pictures.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 am

Cool, sound like you figured it out with this river.

I would like to see your pictures. It would definitely kill my salmon fever for until fall season. haha. but it is awesome feeling when you hooked up salmon on fly rod. It just feel like your line is barely hanging on freight train!

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for your interest. I deleted the full report during a disk cleanup but still have the pictures archived. I'll post them if I come across them.

Without the guides I didn't have a lot of success. The first guide was awful. A complete non-profressional who just happened to have a boat. The boat had a heater but it spent most of it's time keeping the guide warm. When I finally asked for a little heat he said it was out of propane. I ran into trouble with the reel that came with the trip and was told to fix it myself.

The second guide was excellent. He showed me how to rig and use a spey rod and put me right on the fish. He also lent me a better pair of wadding boots. They were much warmer than the boots I brought with me and made a day of wading the freezing cold river more comfortable.

So, what tricks and tips can you pass along? What type of tackle did you use? How did you select which parts of the river to fish?

I started a website for this years trip, but like I said we decided not to go.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Sorry about your guiding experience! Sound like sucks on first one but at least, your learning does pay off from second guide.

I only have crappy fly-rod along with nice reel that I brought from cabelas. along with 12 pound trilene line.

For fly rig that I used.
Deeper hole or deep river - I used bead fishing. The rig is 7-gram steelhead bobber along with medium sinker clamp to clamp right under bobber. (reason I did this because I want my bobber to stay straight in the water instead flat out on top of water. If stay straight on water, you can tell smallest strike on bobber and just pull line hard to get hookup) Then put three small sinker clamp on nearby bead. Now, bead should be 1-3 inch away from hook. and 12-15 inch away that where you should put first bottom of small sinker clamp and put two more above that first one. (the purpose for this rig is get your bead on nearby bottom of river. At where salmons and trouts tend to waiting before attack it.)

fast current or not deep river - I used 4 feet leader with small swivel that connect with main line. But when you tied leader on the swivel, don't cut the line to short the tied on swivel because you will need to put couple of medium sinker clamp on that part of leader line. However, they must not on the leader line, it should be on end of your leader line that where you tied on. (This is factor because if you got stuck on rocks. You can break free without break any line.) Now, you can use small cut sponge on small hook.

You are ready to go.

P.s. I have no problem to repeat cast and receive before hit my spot that I wanted. So, you should have no problem with this.

Now, about part of river that I should pick. This is something that you should keep wading around river to find right spot for you. I tend to like fish super fast current that almost nobody fish around them. I used those 4 foot leader rig. Very effective since I wanted natural drift for it.

If you found honey hole that has little deeper from rest of river and nobody fish around at that spot, stay there! have patience! Use either 4 foot leader or steelhead rig. just keep trying until you find whatever they like to bite at.

I tend to fish at fly-fishing zone and catch/release zone. Since tad less than crowd people who fish.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Great info. Thanks!

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I'll try post photos for clarify understanding on the rigs. Ill post it on sometimes next week.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 pm

A picture would be nice but I think I have the idea. Your description is similar to what the guides showed me. I have a picture of the setup as well and will see if I can find it.

Thanks again.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 pm

This is what i used for fishing.

This is fly-rig that I used. But I wanted to point out that i use left one, not right one on the picture.

Also, this one i called 4 foot leader. But I wanted to point out again, See this main line that has sinker clamp on it. HUGE MISTAKE! you are better off with leader that tied like this instead main line. So you won't lose swivel that often.

Good luck!! I am surprised that I can easily find it on internet.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Cool. What size rod were you using?

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 pm

I think it was around 9-10 feet. but if i can buy new one. it would be around 10-11 for easy backbone for fighting them.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links