After reading some posts about people getting new Kayaks, in particular the Wilderness Systems Ride my search for a kayak has changed considerably.

I was going to buy a Sit On Top that was pretty cheap and just make it work for a couple of years.

Now I've got the bug to be able to stand and cast. So my main choices are the Ride 115 and 135. I also see another Yak called the Jackson Cuda 12 (http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/cuda-12/) that looks pretty sweet.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to buy. The main issue I'm having is settling on a length to buy. The 115 (11' 6") or the longer brother 135 (13' 6").

The shorter kayak is cheaper and a little lighter.

I'm 6'2" 215lbs and mainly paddle small to medium sized ponds/lakes. But I would like the flexibility for the occasional longer trip or maybe a saltwater expedition eventually.

If you have any advice for me I'd love to hear it since right now I'm having trouble committing to a model.

thanks,
JJ

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am

I was going to say to get the bigger boat based on your height and weight but I see that the 115 has a 500 lb capacity, which is huge! It also weighs a ton for a short boat. And 11.5 feet really isn't that small. I take my Hobie Revo 11 out on Quincy Bay and I know plenty of guys that take Hobie Outbacks (12 feet) on the ocean. My mantra is only take as much boat as you're gonna need because you gotta paddle the whole thing around all day and then lift in on and off your vehicle. Why make more work for yourself? It's gonna be hard enough with a 76 lb boat.

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

berkleegrad

It's gonna be hard enough with a 76 lb boat.

Thanks for the insight Berklee. I am definitely concerned with the weight of the boat because I have a pretty tall car and I'm worried it will be a little difficult to hoist onto the J Racks.

I guess I was just thinking that the longer boat would be a little faster and give me more options for storage.

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, and wide boats like the Ride are even more cumbersome to lift.

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm

If you like to cover a lot of ground and can afford it try a Hobie Mirage drive. You can rent 1 in Winthrop at Belle Isle kayak. You'll never want to paddle again

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 am

Neal, I think the key issue here is that JJ wants to be able to stand. I don't know of a Hobie with Mirage Drive that would fit the bill. Plus a new Hobie costs more than twice as much as the Ride; even a used one will run him 50% more unless he finds a kickass deal.

The thing about kayaks is you need to own and use one for a while to understand your needs. Every boat has benefits and drawbacks. That's why I own two very different boats.

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 am

Just saying I cover up 2 8 miles on a trip, can't do that easily with a paddle. If standing is your priority don't buy a Hobie but I got a deal on mine as a leftover from Sturgis Boatworks in W Yarmouth . At the Plymouth show Monahans offers $300 crdit for accessories with purchase. I'd ck out Belle Isle and try a Hobie. I've had 2 WS yaks, 2 heritage, and an OK which I loved but don't compare to a mirage drive. Just my opinion. Laughing

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 am

bti111

Just my opinion. Laughing

Thanks for all the good info bti. I really like the idea of the Hobie but they are a bit more expensive. Especially if I decide on the Ride 115 it'll only be around $900.

Considering the lakes/ponds I typically fish I think the ability to stand is a bit more important to me right now.

I'm thinking about waiting till the spring so I can try them out before buying. Although my impulse purchasing genes are telling me to do otherwise Smile

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 am

Once it gets warmer out, you can try my ride 115 if you want. Not sure where your from but I'm down on Cape a lot so just let me know if you'd want to.

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

that's how this should work, you rule Zack.
good luck with your purchase

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

zack137z

Once it gets warmer out, you can try my ride 115 if you want. Not sure where your from but I'm down on Cape a lot so just let me know if you'd want to.

Thanks a lot for the offer Zack! I may take you up on it. I'm up towards Worcester.

I was contemplating just pulling the trigger on the deal that Hook1 had for last years model (that you had mentioned). There doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two except for maybe the seat.

Part of me wants the newest model though.

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh even better, I am actually from the Springfield area, my GF is just out that way. So once this awful ice breaks and you want to try it, I'm only like 30 minutes away from you. Just let me know.

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:35 pm

zack137z

Just let me know.

Awesome, thanks Zack.

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links