i was wondering if any of you guys have ever used this portable fish finder.. i just got a fishing kayak and was wondering if this was a good option for my kayak

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't have any experience with that one but see that it takes AA batteries. You'll be buying batteries all the time. You should make a new post titled fishfinder for a kayak or something like that. I'm sure all the guys that kayak's will tell you what they have and how they hook em up.

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 am

I got one for my yak. It works great.
I realy only use it for depth,water temps and bottom contour.
Finding drop offs, humps and what not!

It marks fish sometime. But I don't need it for that.
All the ponds i fish are shallow or small!

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 am

The fishing buddy looks like a pretty sweet Solution for a Kayak. I love that it can be installed so quickly.

During the Holidays I bought a Hummingbird Piranha MAX 170 because it was on sale for $70.

It's a little more work to mount but the price was right. I've searched around and I'm thinking of mounting the transducer in the hull using Electrician's putty. Now I just need to setup a battery for the unit (another good thing about the buddy)

I'm looking forward to getting out on the water and giving it a shot this Spring.

Good luck.

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am

it was my first fish finder - tbh i lost it at one point in teh lake and it sank like a stone - and i was not that sad about it -

as said u can use it like a gauge for temps, and depth and to find drop offs - but it wont find any fish let me tell u that -

problem with lowtech devices like that - it will distract you and make u do decisions based on some dumb display - rather then use your head and hunting instinct

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am

yeah anything i get is to just use for finding drop offs and contour on the bottom ill look into something that has a transducer so i can mount it on my kayak with out worrying about it falling off and losing it in a pond lol

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I have a really great experience with my portable Hummingbird (sounds like some others maybe not). I turn off the the side view and just use the down view with auto res and the fast screen roll.

I get over 50 hours out of the 6 AA batteries, just need to change out once a month to six weeks.

I do find fish on mine, if there's something there it will pick it up: bottom contour, picks up weeds / vegetation, and even used out at Quabbin to find smallish in 20 feet of water with a drop shot.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am

dhutch

I have a really great experience with my portable Hummingbird (sounds like some others maybe not). I turn off the the side view and just use the down view with auto res and the fast screen roll.

I get over 50 hours out of the 6 AA batteries, just need to change out once a month to six weeks.

I do find fish on mine, if there's something there it will pick it up: bottom contour, picks up weeds / vegetation, and even used out at Quabbin to find smallish in 20 feet of water with a drop shot.

Anyone have any suggestions for a portable FF with DIfrom bass pro? I have some gift cards from Xmas and a birthday coming up and wanted to invest, but since my boat is of the hard plastic variety I don't really have a way to mount a non portable.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 am

There's got to be a way to mount one on your boat Bobby. Northshore has one mounted on their pelican

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 am

shawneramone

There's got to be a way to mount one on your boat Bobby. Northshore has one mounted on their pelican

Good call ill reach out to them

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 am

Get the 160 or 170, rechargeable batteries that last forever on a charge.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 am

there is strong magnets you could use to attach to hard plastic one inside one outside - not sure how that affects the sensors

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

I'm not sure how thick your boat is but I'm planning to mount by transducer on the inside of my kayak and shoot through the hull.

This is pretty common in Kayak installs.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 am

yeah i seen a video online of i guy doing that,the garmin echo 150 portable caught my eye it seems like a good unit

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links