I have been wondering how many fishing lines 1 person can have in the water at one time. I know at Houghtons pond you can have 2 lines in the water. But, is that true for all trout ponds in Massachusetts ? I want to avoid having fish and game bust my balls if at all possible. And I would like to follow the regulations as well.

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 am

Two lines everywhere.

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 am

from http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/cmr/cmr_400.htm

(4) Prohibitions: Except as otherwise provided for in M.G.L. c. 131 and 321 CMR, it shall be unlawful:

(a) to fish in the Merrimack River in the area downstream from the Essex Dam to the Boston and Maine Railroad Bridge;

(b) to fish in the canal systems in the Cities of Lawrence and Lowell during the month of April;

(c) to take fish in the inland waters of Massachusetts by snagging;

(d) to take fish in the inland waters of Massachusetts by poison, explosive, float or toggle;

(e) to take fish in the inland waters of Massachusetts by any means other than angling, except that eels, carp, and suckers may be taken by spears or archery, and eels may be taken in pots by licensed commercial fishermen pursuant to 321 CMR 4.03;

(f) to take fish in the inland waters of Massachusetts by net, seine, trawl, or similar device, except for the taking of bait fish pursuant to M.G.L. c. 131, § 52, and 321 CMR 4.01(Cool, or for the taking of herring and alewives pursuant to M.G.L. c. 131, § 56;

(g) to set or use more than two hooks for fishing, or, in the case of ice fishing, five hooks.

(h) to take or attempt to take fish other than at a time provided herein or to possess at any time a greater number of fish or of fish of a length less than provided in 321 CMR 4.01 or to possess a fish at a period or in an area other than so provided. Such taking or possession shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of 321 CMR 4.01, provided, that the taking or having in possession of any fish of a length less than as provided in 321 CMR 4.01 if taken by a person lawfully fishing and immediately returned alive to the water from whence it was taken shall not constitute such a violation.

(i) to use a lead sinker, lead weight, or lead jig in the inland waters of Massachusetts; provided that this prohibition shall be enforceable beginning January 1, 2012.

Further clarification:
Hook means an angling device which is attached to a fishing line and which is designed to take one fish at a time, including, but not limited to, devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs, or plugs, the purpose of which is to capture the fish by enticing it to take the device into its mouth, thereby engaging the fish upon it.

Therfore a plug with multiple hooks is considered a single hook for the purposes of the regs.

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:41 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links