I have been meaning to get out to Lake Cochituate and do some trout fishing for quite some time now. With some of the research that I have done, it seems as though people fish around the boat ramp alot. I am wondering if there are other good spots to fish from shore for trout? Maybe something that isn't directly next to the highway, or just somewhere that is decent fishing. If anyone has been there recently, how is the old standard of power bait on a leader working? Are they starting to hit spinners more now as the weather is warming up?

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 am

I have fished Cochituate for trout mostly in the North pond. But to really fish Cochituate you need a boat. Be advised that especially in the north pond there are some questionable characters that frequent the area. Also on the advise of the dude with the white beard and the bike you want to avoid bringing beery beverages on your trip. EPOs like to confiscate the beverages or pour them out if they catch you fishing with them.

For trout the best times to fish this water is early in the morning.

The North pond is on the right and the Center pond is on the left off of route 30 heading west.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 pm

thorn168

I have fished Cochituate for trout mostly in the North pond. But to really fish Cochituate you need a boat. Be advised that especially in the north pond there are some questionable characters that frequent the area. Also on the advise of the dude with the white beard and the bike you want to avoid bringing beery beverages on your trip. EPOs like to confiscate the beverages or pour them out if they catch you fishing with them.

For trout the best times to fish this water is early in the morning.

The North pond is on the right and the Center pond is on the left off of route 30 heading west.

What do u mean by questionable characters?

And cant u drink? As long as ur not driving the boat they cant take it from you.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Cochituate is a state park and therefore no alcoholic beverages are allowed. The same goes for Whitehall.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

It sounds like I should find a better place to fish for trout on Monday. I have been to dug pond a few times with good results but I am trying to find a new place. Ne Wallace's new experiences. What about mine brook and mill brook in Medfield? Anyone fished these. Waters? I've got a new fly rod and it seems like those places might be good to try. Freshly stocked this week as well.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 pm

I just remembered...Monday is patriots day...route 30 is the race route. You most definitely want to find an alternative location away from the crowds.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Good call! I do not wanna deal with crowds on Monday while fishing. I am thinking more towards Buckmaster pond in Dover or maybe out to swift river to do some roll casting, as I don't have waders yet.

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Try the Ashland Resevoir!

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Ashland res has given up some nice trout,Always a good bet but tricky to get to on Marathon Monday but def worth hitting up another time.One of my favorites.

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

I have heard good things about the Ashland res. don't want to deal with the Marathon traffic though. Anyone fished the Mill brook or Mine brook in medfield?

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 am

I like fishing near the girl scout camp on Rt. 9. I go in behind Toolmex and over the old train tracks to the spot in the back. Blown up worms on a fishfinder rig works well.

Tight lines!

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links