I'm going camping at Beartown State Forest this weekend, near Great Barrington. Does anyone know any spots around there or have fished at Benedict Pond which is in the state park? I think I might be able to rent a canoe on that pond, otherwise i'll be fishing from shore.

also heading to Pawtuckaway in New Hampshire in september...anyone been out there fishing? the lake looks pretty big, so I'm sure there's some good fish in there.

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Let us know how Beartown is. I was looking at it as a potential place to take my kids camping.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 am

The sites are pretty spacious, there's only 12 though, so I think they book up quick. 3 or 4 of them are pond front, and they looked pretty sweet. There were 3 crappy sites that were basically on a small lawn right next to each other with only a hedge separating the sites from the park road. I would try to find a map of the campsite beforehand to choose the best ones. I fished the pond (Benedict Pond) 2 mornings for about an hour or so with some decent luck, 2-3 bass each day. They weren't huge, but fun nonetheless. I saw some perch schools roaming around too when we were swimming; they looked like decent size fish. I've heard there are a lot of other good fishing spots around there, but I don't have a boat to check them out and my fiancee isn't really into fishing, so that will be another trip.

If it rains, like it did this weekend, there's a brewery/restaurant in Great Barrington that had some awesome beer, if you're into that kind of thing Smile Beats cooking in the rain...

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links