Here is my latest toy. Just got two weeks ago, and ordered back in February. It splits in two sections, with a total length of 7'8". Each section is about 48lbs, and the back section has wheels mounted. It fits in the front door of my condo, which I needed. I throw it in the bed of my truck but it can maybe fit in a back of a SUV? I actually was going to get a porte bote, but I didn't think it would fit in my place.

Since I bought it out of state and payed that state's sales tax, and paid through paypal it has been a pain in the ass to register. I emailed Fish and Game's register people and gone down there and no one knows what to do. I now have to call the IRS.

Posted Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

thelucky, I'm sorry for your difficulties but none of what you wrote here makes sense (which, by the way, I am blaming on the state, not you).

I think they are confused by which procedure to follow. Boat owners must move into state from other states fairly regularly. They already own their boat, so whatever procedure they use for them would apply to you.

The IRS has nothing to do with this. This is a state issue. Perhaps you meant the DOR, which also is irrelevant since this is merely an issue of determining which registration procedure to follow.

In a worst case scenario you might bite the bullet and pay the Mass sales tax just to move things forward and get your boat in the water.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 5:27 am

bloomagoo

thelucky, I'm sorry for your difficulties but none of what you wrote here makes sense (which, by the way, I am blaming on the state, not you).

I think they are confused by which procedure to follow. Boat owners must move into state from other states fairly regularly. They already own their boat, so whatever procedure they use for them would apply to you.

The IRS has nothing to do with this. This is a state issue. Perhaps you meant the DOR, which also is irrelevant since this is merely an issue of determining which registration procedure to follow.

In a worst case scenario you might bite the bullet and pay the Mass sales tax just to move things forward and get your boat in the water.

Nope, both people I contacted told me I have to talk to the IRS. When I emailed the help desk they gave me a contact to call at the IRS, and when I went to register in person they gave me a map to the IRS.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am

Did they say why you had to speak to the IRS? What would you expect them to be doing for you, the goal, the end game? Are they supposed to give you some sort of pass that says because you paid sales tax in another state you are exempt from having to pay tax to Mass?

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 am

chevin37

i have another option for you, im not sure what your budget is but i just found one in bridgewater on craigslist

id do this over an inflatable

http://www.porta-bote.com/index.php

they are really cool actually

this is the craiglist link if you wanna see if you could talk the guy down

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/3784038053.html

Woah!! I like it!! That's a great idea!!

troutfreak

Have you thought about a Kayak ? They have those Sit on ones or a 2 person for you and your fishing partner to use together.

I have, actually. Didn't end up finding the perfect one for me at a good price. I also like a good bit of height above the water while fishing. I know, the registration & all that is an extra hassle.

thelucky

Here is my latest toy. Just got two weeks ago, and ordered back in February. It splits in two sections, with a total length of 7'8". Each section is about 48lbs, and the back section has wheels mounted. It fits in the front door of my condo, which I needed. I throw it in the bed of my truck but it can maybe fit in a back of a SUV? I actually was going to get a porte bote, but I didn't think it would fit in my place.

Since I bought it out of state and payed that state's sales tax, and paid through paypal it has been a pain in the ass to register. I emailed Fish and Game's register people and gone down there and no one knows what to do. I now have to call the IRS.

What a great lil craft!! That's awesome! Not so awesome what you're having to go through trying to register it, though. Sucks to hear that.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 10:56 am

Lilpixi, I'm looking into the exact same inflatable right now! I used to live near my family and friends who all have boats that I would borrow or go out with but now I'm moving about an hour away from anyone I know with a boat. I feel your pain on deciding which risk is the least risky hahaha. The Intex Mariner looks like its the best of the bunch though. Every review I read online for inflatable in general had a whole bunch of reviews in the 4 to 5 star range and little to no reviews at all on any other inflatable, let alone a 4 or 5 star rating. I'm saving now and plan to buy the same package you speak of off of Amazon in the next month or so. Let me know if you end up taking the dive first! I'll do the same!

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

get the porta bote if you can. much better and safer than anything inflatable. the inflation / deflation part alone is such a hassle.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm

While some inflatable boats are "toys", there are some that are far from it - usually made from a rugged delrin pvc, some are used as dinghy's or marine applications, others are just fantastic recreational boats, white water rafts or kayaks. I can speak from experience that these types of inflatables hold up to some of the most rugged conditions, in some cases moreso than an aluminum boat; and are certainly not at risk of damage from anything like fish hooks, running into submerged logs or rocks,or even being dragged over a shard of glass. Some can be packed away nicely into very small storage spaces when not in use, and these days there's numerous options for accessorizing inflatable boat and kayaks with everything from cup holders, sails and rod holders to fish-finders and motor mounts. They are also generally very light, making them easy for just about anyone to transport and move around. One of my boats is a 3 chamber inflatable with a pump that that takes me less than 3 minutes to fully inflate and get on the water. And if something did happen, say oh I don't know you accidently shoot it with your .22 while out bird hunting, most of these boats have at least 3 chambers and will easily stay afloat if one is damaged.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 pm

found tis out here in western mass .
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/3793649510.html

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Not sure, but I think that's welded vinyl which I don't think holds up anywhere near as well as the delrin, pvc or similar inflatables.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links