This weekend. I've planned on attending since my fly fishing 101 class at Orvis and even scheduled my 201 class for June 15th just so I could make this.

There's the one fly fishing event, which I plan on just being a spectator of at this point. I'll leave that to the pros until next year Laughing http://www.deerfieldrivertroutunlimited.com/uploads/SpeyOneFly2013_Final.pdf Pretty strict about the rules but for good reasons and these are good, respectable people.

What I'm really looking forward to the most is Spey Day with renowned northeast fly fishing guide & instructor Walt Geryk. http://www.neffguide.com/dfldspeyday.html

I thought I may be out of my league here, but Spey Day is for those who want to learn and my Orvis instructor assured me we'd be very welcome and it'd be a great learning experience. Plus, her father is the guy putting on the event, and she is very sweet.

Then one of the other great things about this is all the campgrounds all along the Deerfield River. Most provide both tent sites and cabins for a very fair price. Some even have pubs right on site, and the river is a few steps away from your tent or cabin door.

This whole event is very exciting, and for me, intimidating, but a weekend that shouldn't be passed up! I wonder if there are any Deerfield fly fishers or Trout Unlimited members on here who attend this.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 pm

That looks like a great event, I'd never heard about it before. So is a spey setup your next purchase? Can't wait to go after those steelhead, huh?

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 am

I really can't wait. Lol. Same with saltwater fly fishing of all kinds.
I vowed my next purchase would be a good 9wt set up for Striper, Atlantic Salmon up in Maine, etc...and then my ultimate goal; a 10/11wt for Tarpon fishing when I'm in Florida.

Now I'm thinking that 9wt should be a switch rod. Wink

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 am

You should not hesitate to participate even if you haven't fished a lot. It's a lot of fun. There are lots of foolish freshly stocked fish out there and the river is great. There's a raffle too.

Eric

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I cleaned up on the raffle! It was weird. Lol
There were 3 things on the table I wanted badly and I got called 3 times. First time I was the second number called. I ended up giving my remaining tickets to my Orvis instructor so I wouldn't look like an ass. Both glad and sad I didn't grab Walt's mystery box. Lol

WOW, what a fantastic and fun group of people!! I'd give anything to remember the name of the announcer for the auction. When I first rolled up he spent a good half hour with me watching Walt's demo from up the hill and trying to explain to me the motions of spey casting. Real friendly, funny guy. All of em' actually. Wonderful people!

I ended up not entering the tournament. I fished a little beforehand to test my capabilities and realized once again that I do excellent practicing in the yard but still really need help on the single-handed rods while on the water. Sad When you got that tension from the water it's totally different. I really hope that when we go out on the water in the Orvis 201 class that I can finally get it down.

Posted Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links