It has been one heck of a morning!

Today began at 2:45AM up in Boston. I had spent the past few days in Brighton with Lauren, but after hearing about big bass in the Cape Cod Canal I knew I had to get back to the fish.

I was just about the only car on the highway all the way to the bridge which was definitely a nice change of pace. Finally at around 4:40AM I settled down in my honey hole along the rocks of the Big Ditch.

It felt more like October this morning than June-that is for sure. Of course after my second cast the sky opened up and began raining. I watched as the brisk NE breeze blew sheets of rain from east to west down through the Canal. Of course I had forgotten my rain coat at home – what a perfect start!

After about 5 casts my braided line managed to tie itself into one heck of a killer wind knot. I had to cut and retie and ended up losing a ton of line.

I completely emptied my spool on the next cast and only saved losing everything by quickly flipping the bail over at the last second. It wasn’t even 5:30AM and I was soaked to the bone, freezing and completely out of fishing line!

Instead of getting all ticked off I made a move, left the Canal and headed back to the barn to grab a coat, a hat and a new spool of line. Fortunately I had a back up spool ready to go so I wasted minimal time re-rigging. By 6:15AM I was back on the rocks, waiting for the fish to show.

Problem was there was really no life whatsoever. No birds, no bait, no one hooked up and no bass on the surface. I found myself a comfortable rock (if there is such a thing), snuggled into a crevice, and patiently waited for some sign of activity.

I sat there for about 15 minutes. I remember thinking something along the lines of – “Well I’m guaranteed to not catch a thing with my hook out of the water, so I might as well take a couple casts.”

cape cod canal fishing report

This was one heck of a long and fat fish.

So a couple casts is exactly what I decided to do. And on my second cast something awesome happened.

Read the full report at http://myfishingcapecod.com/striped-bass-reports/457-pound-striped-bass-june-5-cape-cod-canal-report/

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 am

loved the report, but not so much the pitch for the fishing info service

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 am

Awesome fish, congrats!

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:00 am

Nice fish great work

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 am

Great fish man, I gotta get myself out there and do some surf fishing soon.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

the report was great. I usually fish the north shore but the stripers and the blues arn't there anymore and i was thinking about trying the canal. do u have any sugestions as to when i should go and where i should go? i could give u some good info on the north shore but i'd like to know more about the cape and the canal especialy. thanx.

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:00 am

i stumpled upon the 45.7 striper today. i was looking for info about the canal and this came up.

it gave me the chills. i can only imagine catching a fish that big. or even seeing one smash my popper. WOW!!!!!!!!

it got me excited and now i have to go to the canal soon!!!! hopefully the tides are right

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm

That is real beauty. Did the catch happen last year? The date on the myfishingcapecod.com page said June 5, 2012.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:56 pm

chrokee

That is real beauty. Did the catch happen last year? The date on the myfishingcapecod.com page said June 5, 2012.

this post said june 5 2012 also

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Aha. I hadn't noticed that. That must have been quite the thrill.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 pm

id need a new pair of pants if i caught one and saw one smash my popper!!!!! i couldnt imagine catching one that big!!!!

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links