After reading the night fishing thread yesterday I decided to take the kayak out last night about 10PM. There was a slight southerly breeze so the water wasn't flat but man it was so nice being out there under the stars and getting out of the hot house. It isn't easy though with no light but your eyes adjust. I was very excited to hear a splash after my 3rd or 4th cast, wouldn't you know it was a bluegill but fun nevertheless. I had my cell phone on me and it gave me just enough light to unhook him. Later on I got my reel all tangled up and gave up but being out there under the stars in the quiet is like some kind of religious experience! I will be doing it again soon. Thanks for the tips guys

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:57 pm

stop at walmart pick up a headlamp with red light setting works great for not messing up your night vision it the one i got i've had for 2 years i payed 12 bucks.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Put your Senkos away after dark, and put on a topwater plug that makes a lot of noise (I'm partial to the Jitterbug). Rattling crankbaits work well too. The subtle finesse of a Senko falling silently is not so visible in the dark, and completely inaudible. I like black Jitterbugs for maximum contrast against light coming from above. I've had good luck with a rattling Heddon Swim 'N Image after dark too. Get used to listening to the ploop-ploop-splash sounds, and you'll jump out of your seat when you get a slamming hit!

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2034 6:52 pm Post subject: Night fishing

How did you post 25 years in the future?

Posted Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I too have seen the likes of napa and others tell there tales of the dark fishing went out last night 9-1030 at the charles river in waltham and got skunked..........what works best for night fishing? i used my senko light green with sparklle.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I finally convinced Drew to go night fishing with me while the kids were at camp and we were free to come and go as we pleased.

His idea of night fishing is getting home by 8:00 pm but last week I convinced him to go out around 10:00 pm and give it a try.

We didn't catch anything but I laughed my freakin' ass off the entire time because each time Drew cast he said "This is ridiculous!! I'm not sure if I even cast or not and if I did, I have no idea if my line is 40 feet from shore or 4 inches from shore!"

So the fishing part of it was not a success, but the chance to laugh that hard AND knowing I can talk him into just about anything definately made it worth it!

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:24 pm

I go night fishing often and you really should use top water lures. Jitters or poppers. I never get skunked and its so much fun. Worms are no good during the dark as previously stated, as the bass are mostly feeding on top water bugs, ext. Try out a jitter and you will be amazed at the action!

Friday night we caught 12 fish in a few hours. Pouring rain, but it was awsome.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links