Just joined up, used to fish a lot as a kid and recently got back in to it after a trip to south Florida. Guess it just never occurred to me that there was good fishing in the city. Have been exploring for the last few weeks, really enjoy catching Bass, but since I don't own a car I mainly use an ultra-light setup that I can break down and carry with me. Favorite spots so far, The Charles near the boat ramp, Chestnut Hill Reservoir, and Menotomy Rocks park in Arlington. Looking to try more spots soon. Anybody know of somewhere to buy tackle in the city? I know there's a spot in Dorchester and one in Arlington, but they're both a bit of a haul from where I am.

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:53 pm

welcome walleye! im fairly new here myself but have been fishing my whole life aound the south shore and arould the river (charles) and honstly if you can get a canoe/kayak/inflateable, that river will produce and produce well! i kno that mite be tuff but maybe if u find a fishing buddy or something? with a car? maybe split costs for everything. you can spen a whole season on that river and never need anothe spot! as far as tackle... i would say you can get whatever you need at wal-mart! im sure theres mom and pop shops around you somewhere, but they can be pricey! i hit wal-mart the other day and for 40 bucks i left with more stuff than ill use this whole season! i dont have a boat either, but i do have a car and would be willing to meet a fishin bud and maybe show u a couple of my spots, if ur interested, let me kno! hope i helped!

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey, yeah the Charles does seem to have a lot to offer. I've been looking into inflatable kayaks actually, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of shore access along the banks. Tried some rain fishing today over at Chandler's Pond in Brighton. Caught a couple channel cats and a bunch of bluegills. I believe there are largemouths in there though because I can see some bigger guys jumping out in the middle every now and then (everyone told me there's nothing in there, but I know that's not true now, and the pond is fed by a brook that runs through Newton). I've caught a few modest size bass and now I've got the itch to find myself some lunkers. Still trying to figure which rig I like the best, looking at upgrading to a medium or light 2-piece ugly stik. Just using a little daiwa minispin at the moment. What do you usually like to fish for?

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Hey there walleyefanatic,

Welcome to Maff. If you are looking to upgrade your rod, I would recommend that you get a 6.6 or 7 foot medium action spinning rod. You can check out the rod & reel combos online at: Basspro, Cabelas and Dick's.

If you are thinking of fishing soft plastics you have to spool the reel with braid. Fishing soft plastics with mono is an exercise in frustration.

However, if you do choose to use mono you can successfully catch fish using hardbait lures, such as spoons, stickbaits, crankbaits, spinners and live bait.

I also recommend that you purchase a net. Using a net makes landing the fish safer for the fish and safer for you. Nothing can ruin your day like hooking into a nice fish who then with violent shake hooks into you .

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Welcome Walleyefanatic-I live in Brookline and have had decent success at the Resevoir in Brookline and Jamaica Pond in Boston besides the spots that were already mentioned. Hope to see you out on the water soon.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks, guys! Really encouraged by how supportive and welcoming the community here is! Seems like I have a lot of learning ahead of me. I think I'm going to upgrade to a two-piece medium action Ugly Stik with a Shimano reel. It is very difficult to sift through all the forums and advice online. Panfish are fun, but I'm ready to start hooking some big guys. Seems everyone has their own favorite setup, and I plan to try several different methods (crankbaits, spinners, soft plastics, live bait), so I guess my question is: What do you guys feel would be the most versatile setup for freshwater fishing? I primarily would like to get more into lunker-hunting, but really would enjoy catching anything a bit larger and more challenging than the Bluegills. I've tried flourocarbon line (had a horrific time keeping it from knotting itself), currently using mono, didn't even know braid existed til I read thorn168's post. I know it's a learning process, but I'm definitely on a budget and can't afford to try everything at once.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am

For about 8 years I had one setup...a Wal-Mart brand (FLW) 7' one-piece medium-heavy that I think I paid $20 for and a Shimano 4000 Syncopate ($40). I re-strung it once at the beginning of the season with anywhere from 10-lb to 17-lb mono (usually Stren of some sort). I still use this setup today except I recently bought a baitcasting setup to expand my arsenal a bit.

Everyone has their own little tips & tricks. I'm sure the Ugly-Stik and definitely that Shimano will do you well.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 am

shimano sienna 2500 reel $29, best budget reel ever. I hate ugly sticks, I find them too heavy, too slow and not sensitive. but thats just my opinion. I would get a cheap basspro spinning rod if you can get down there.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I actually really like my 7' ugly stik lite spinning rod. I just bought a shimano sienna to put on it.

For soft plastics I would recommend:

6" blue or purple curly tail worm
Kalin's Lunker grubs (I like the bluegill color and they work great texas rigged)
Some lizards in green pumpkin
Pearl Zoom Super flukes
Some stick worms like Senkos or Yum Dingers (black with blue flake is my confidence color and works well in waters around here because they're not super clear.)

I also really like the Zoom Ultravibe Speed Worms and craws.

Good luck!

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links