Sorry for the late report but the internet was down all weekend at my house. Sean, his father, and I went up to Wachusett on Saturday morning. Sean has a spot that we have always done well at so we chose to make the long walk in. It's about a 2 mile walk from any road so we knew we would be the only ones there. Within the first 5 minutes of setting up Sean hooked the first laker. Then his father got one and then I got one casting a pointer meant for smallies. It was nonstop action from about 6:30 until 9:30 and then it died off. Around 10 Sean's dad picked up a nice smallmouth and I was attempting to take a picture when Sean started yelling at me to grab my rod. I turned around and set the hook and new right away I was into a good fish. The fish ran off about 50' of line before I could do anything. About 5 minutes of back and forth fighting and I had my personal best laker that weighed 8 pounds on the boga grip and had to be a litter over 30" long. After a quick picture it was released as were all the others we caught. Finally tally of the morning was 12 lakers and one smallie.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 am

Most excellent trip Doood. Makes we wanna visit the Chu for a change of pace. Great pics too.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 am

Glad to see that the MAFF members did well at the RES!!!

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:55 pm

muskiebigfish

Glad to see that the MAFF members did well at the RES!!!

Funny thing is I wanted smallmouths and could only catch lakers.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I had 3 bites this morning. Might still be a hair early for the smallies but they can start any time now!! All we have seen are Lakers also

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:11 pm

It's tough to get by the lakers so early in the year. They seem to really like the jerkbaits and bladebaits the 1st couple weeks.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm

nice laker! i know where your spot is by looking at the pics lol a buddy took me there last october a couple times . as for the 2 mile walk i cant think of any spot that ive gone to looking for lakers at chusett that is anything less than a 2 mile walk threw the woods lol, the place i went to opening day was 2 and a half miles and about 30 to 40 minutes threw dense cover and we were first 2 there then by 630 8 others were elbow to elbow next to us so there really is no place on that body of water that you can fish without a bunch of dudes showing up next to you at some opint. did i mention thats a sweet 8 lber? hahaha

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm

So it must be a really sweet spot if so many of you are willing to walk that far to get there Wink

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

bloomagoo

So it must be a really sweet spot if so many of you are willing to walk that far to get there Wink

thats the thing about that place is you really gotta work for your fish lol. ive been lucky enough to have a couple good friends show me some great spots there for smallies and lakers cause last year was my first year fishing at the chu so i didnt get to put in as much time searching as most. lucky for me i have a few buds that arent the type to keep secrets from friends haha i understand that people dont wanna blow up their spots but at the same time when it comes to good friends i always say share the wealth and wealth shall be returned to you at some point Smile also at wachusett "your spot" is almost always 60 or more other guys "spot" so as far as i see there are no real frontiers left there other than the restricted "no fishing" areas.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:54 pm

The thing that I like about Wachusett is that there is not one single great spot. If you've fished the lake long enough you know that great fish can be caught anywhere at anytime around the lake. The spot we fished on Saturday we have gotten skunked at many times before. It's not only knowing the spots but also the time of year and wind and weather patterns as well that make you successful. Having a little luck helps too. I've caught many lakers in the 5-7 pound class right off the 140 causway less than 100 yards from where I parked. I've also seen some of the biggest smallmouth and largemouth bass cruising along the shore there too.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 am

I'm still looking for my first fish from her.She is a fickle woman who doesn't give up her bounty easily. A spot that is hot one day can go ice cold the next.I haven't fished her much just started last yr but I am starting to learn her ways.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm

hi, im new to the area, im in leominister...seems like a great place to go, what lures are hitting there?

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 am

Bluegill Jigs, Senko's and Spooks. We also use Big Live Bait.
My group will be going back next Sunday I believe, if you interested

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:47 am

Thank you! Im very interested in that what time?

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 am

Early Dark thirty hahahahahahaha
we start 1 hr before sun up not sure on that time yet We will keep u informed!! Yeah Baby

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links