Okay so with the crapy weather this weekend I decided I would try setting up my fish finder on my kayak. So I watched a couple you videos and tried setting it up however the epoxy I bought wouldn't bond to the boat my question is what type of bonding agents did you guys use

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Lexel is the best stuff I have found.You can get it at Ace Hardware stores. It is very important with what ever you use to make sure you have absolutely no air between the hull and the transducer.

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:37 pm

thanks frog man do you have any tricks to keep the air bubbles out ?

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:40 pm

hey, Ranger, did you get that transduce taken care of? I use duct seal which is a putty. get it at home depot for $3. cut off about 1" of the stuff. knead it till it's soft and pliable. flatten it out and press onto the bottom of the ducer and then firmly to the floor of the yak. - done

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 pm

yes its all taken care of thanks anyway next time ill try that its seems alot easier

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 pm

rdhammah

hey, Ranger, did you get that transduce taken care of? I use duct seal which is a putty. get it at home depot for $3. cut off about 1" of the stuff. knead it till it's soft and pliable. flatten it out and press onto the bottom of the ducer and then firmly to the floor of the yak. - done

So ounce you ply the duct seal at the bottom of the Transducer and then firmly apply to the surface of the yak . Do you need to add more over the top of the Transducer to cover it and does it harden after a couple of hours ?
Does the reading of the Transducer be clear on the screen of your fish finder ?

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Duct seal works great, an alternative mounting method using it that I use. Mark out the shape of the transducer on the hull where you want to install it. Roll the Duct seal into a long tube shape and place it around the edges of your marks making a ring around it. Place the transducer into the space in the middle of the ring of Duct Seal. It should be touching the hull directly. Pinch the sides in to hold it in place. When you launch just scoop 1/2 a handful of water in the "well". You'll see the air bubbles come out. This method ensures no air pockets and reads better IMO.

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:03 am

Does it get hard after a while?

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 am

that's what she said...

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:53 pm

inkslinger

Does it get hard after a while?

No, the stuff on my boat is still malleable and it's been on all season.

Seems to work pretty good.

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 pm

inkslinger

rdhammah

So ounce you ply the duct seal at the bottom of the Transducer and then firmly apply to the surface of the yak . Do you need to add more over the top of the Transducer to cover it and does it harden after a couple of hours ?
Does the reading of the Transducer be clear on the screen of your fish finder ?

no need to do anything else. never hardens. mine has been in place finishing its 2nd season. I have had no issues with inaccurate readings other than the temp which is off by only a couple degrees.

Posted Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm planning on getting sit in fishing kayak , do I put up as far as I can to the front of the yak?

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Most guys place it just below the front hatch so that you can get to it easily. I don't think a foot forward or backward would make much difference.

Posted Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 am

inkslinger

I'm planning on getting sit in fishing kayak , do I put up as far as I can to the front of the yak?

I have mine under my seat in the sit in yak. ths way, it is out of the way I use the space in the bow to slide the battery there. if I am using minnows, I slide the container there as well. I run the transducer wire along the top of the gunnel held on with electrical wire clips.

Posted Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links