I fished two consecutive days out west Friday and Saturday looking for pike. Both days we woke up at 2:30 to make sure we were the first ones on the ice at about 5am. We fished a mix of everything from suckers, perch, and big shiners, both dead and alive. Friday saw a lot of flags with a lot of small pike and one bass. A few big runs and one nice fish lost at the hole was enough to make us want to make the trip again on Saturday. So once again we made the 2:30 wake up call and made it on the ice at 5am in the dark. We set up in the same spot as the day before. I decided to try fishing all dead baits because the day before it seemed most of the fish came on dead bait. My first flag was a good runner but turned out to be a nice bass instead of a pike. First time I've caught a bass on dead bait. It was a few hours later and I got another flag on a big freshly killed pond shiner. It was running good when I got to the hole and I waited for it to slow down and when it started running again I set the hook. Right away I knew it was a better fish. After a short give and take battle and a couple passes by the hole, I iced my personal best pike. After a few quick pictures I released it. No weight or length as the scale and tape measure were left in the truck.

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 am

That's a beast!!!

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:06 am

Very nice...beauty of a fish.
Pike still on our bucket list....

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 am

I had a Big one say Hello this weekend also!!!!

Going to the Boag for a Gator tomorow morning

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 am

Awesome Pike! Wow- I'm glad you found one worth the early wake-up calls. I have to take a break from bass and switch gears to searching for some Pike.

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

First Ice is the best time!!!

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 pm

A mighty nice fish and an awesome PB!

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 pm

that pike's massive. look at those teeth haha

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Thats huge, looks at least 40"!

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Good job...Gems like that in Mass are few and far between, usually only see 1-2 pics a year of pike like that (that are actually from this state). Nice!!

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm

NICE PIKE!!!

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links