I never fished for trout before but wanted to give it a try could you help with bait and line weight thanks

Posted Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I do 6 Lb mono leader about 2 feet long. Usually use Chartreuse power eggs, but have been killing the stocked rainbows on the white ones this year. I have never thrown white before. Caught about 20 trout this week, so it's working for me....Good luck.

Posted Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:18 pm

I have also been catching them on a 1/4 Oz. kastmaster copper and pink, and gold pheobes.

Posted Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

For stillwater fishing you can't beat powerbait off the bottom. Majority of trout are caught this way using this rig:

MAIN LINE >> (1/2oz) EGG SINKER > SWIVEL > 3FT of (6-8lb) MONO LEADER > sz. 6-8 hooks. (rig will vary depending on the conditions)

For stream fishing you can't go wrong with a BB split shot, hook, and garden worms. Cast upstream and let it drift down a pool or run. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck!

Posted Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

fishingeek

For stillwater fishing you can't beat powerbait off the bottom. Majority of trout are caught this way using this rig:

MAIN LINE >> (1/2oz) EGG SINKER > SWIVEL > 3FT of (6-8lb) MONO LEADER > sz. 6-8 hooks. (rig will vary depending on the conditions)

For stream fishing you can't go wrong with a BB split shot, hook, and garden worms. Cast upstream and let it drift down a pool or run. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck!

That's pretty much the rig I use when trout fishing. I keep the leader a bit shorter and never use a hook bigger than an 8. I've had great luck with the pink, garlic scented power bait that is preformed into balls (not the dough.) Also, be sure to toss it in the water and make sure your bait floats on the hook. If it doesn't, you need more powerbait.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm

i use rooster tails. anything with a fire tiger blade works. last year i nailed them using one of my crappie jigs with a berkley gulp alive 3'' smelt. caught a 4lb tiger trout with it and countless rainbows. i've also heard of people using corn for trout. I don't know how well that works, but if people can use gummy worms to catch bass then anything is possible

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks guys have you heard any news on how Mary's pond trout fishing is going this year

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Another deadly trout bait is a mini marshmallow with a wax,butter,or meal worm. Use the same set up you would for power eggs caught tons of rainbows on this combo when they get sick of or just not hitting the eggs. Small spoons also work well.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Remimber to use non toxic weights here in mass .. The will be cracking down on the use of lead this year... No lead sinkers of any kind under one ounce . This also includes Jigs and weighted hooks...

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Have you tried Jamaica pond yet they stock it with over thirteen hundred trout a year and the pond is a beautiful place to fish. If you really need help on how to set use a trout rig simply use a slip egg sinker and about a two foot leader with uncle Josh's trout nuggets ( they should be rainbow colored and you can find them at Walmart) then use a small salmon egg or treble hook and cast it out there.! Good luck!

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links