Hey guys, I'm typically a bass angler, interested in targeting some Picks this winter. Any tips/advice for a beginner? What types of bait/lures are effective? How do I unhook one of these bad boys if I do catch one? (I assume the old lip-grab is not a great idea with those teeth). Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 am

If you are ice fishing you should get plenty. Just drill a hole in 3-8 feet around weedsand drop a shiner in. If you are talking open water, fish moving baits like a jerkbait, rattle trap, spinnerbait or a lipped crank bait. Erratic retrieves "usually" work best. Look for flats with weeds in the 3-5' zone

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Shiners always work well, spinners too. They are bit tough to hold on to, but a pair of needle nose work just fine, unless the swallow the hook, then just cut the line. Good luck

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 pm

I caught one on a jerkbait! They will hit your bait a few times! If you miss the fish! Cast again!often you'll see them hit your bait, even if you miss it they'll sit there and wait. And they'll hit again!

After a while you can tell the difference between a bass wake and hit from a pickerel!

I've caught my PB in clear water sandy bottom pond on a tube jig last may! 3.5

My buddy caught his PB 5lbser on a tube jig in clear water going for smallies!

I've hooked and seen monster hit a bleeding white spinner bait but I was hung and it Snapped the line!

They spawn at ice out! So they are really aggressive!
Ice out I use rapala original floaters twitched along the surface!

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:52 pm

I catch them pretty frequently (and unintentionally) on senkos and rooster tails. Those are one of the species I'll put a glove on to handle. The slime takes forever to come off, and I'm not sure if it's a myth or not, but someone told me their mouth contains an anticoagulant, so if you cut yourself on their teeth it takes longer than normal to stop bleeding.

Nutting Lake in Billerica is full of them.

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm

They'll hit pretty much any bass lure. I've caught a lot using a zoom super fluke. As far as unhooking them just get a good grip on their body and use pliers to get the hook out.

I also check my line every time i catch one because their teeth can really tear up your line.

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:36 am

caught another yesterday! small pick, it hit a jerkbait! near a tree below a small dam with some good current!

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try to hit up a couple spots this afternoon since it's been so warm out. Don't really have the time to go grab shiners, so I'll try my luck with some spinners and a couple jerk-baits. One more question, do you guys typically use leaders? I tend not to bother when fishing for bass.

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:32 am

I am almost never used any leader for pikerel.. it worked fine for me.. but I would recommend you to use leader.. if you want to actually land them..

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links