Hey guys I need a little advice.

I live in Milford and have been out ice fishing almost every weekend since the hard water came in. I've had good success overall and have landed some nice bass, perch, and pickerel but nothing in the way of pike - which leads me to my question: where's the best area in central MA to land a pike?

I've heard Stump Pond has a couple? I know good pike lakes can sometimes be a little bit of a secret but I'd really appreciate the help.

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:50 am

good luck im headed out for my first pike sunday!! 2 hr drive!!

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Quaboag or south pond in brookfield. South holds the state record pike but requires extreme care when traversing due to under wster springs and moving water which create a lot of thin spots. South flows into quaboag via river and holds many large bruiser pike. If u go bait up with suckers and stick towards the back shoreline basically straight all the way across from the boat ramp. This back shoreline is shallow and weedy and the river runs in parallel to it so any monster gators swimming in from south pond generally prowl that back shoreline . Get their early cause those back spots go quick to hardcore pike guys and dress warm cause quaboag is a friggin wind tunnel but every bite u get has potential to be a new state record pike especially this time of year cause Pike spawn happens soon. Use a mix of live and dead suckers in the 7-12 inch size range, spawning mamma pike like to hit big dead baits now to not expend a lot of energy and a few live baits will help draw them in if u aren't already directly over them.good luck! Quaboag generally has multiple 20 lbers pulledthrew the ice and releasrd each year so your chances are good.

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 pm

If your willing to fish ct lakes then quaddick lake is your best bet. Im goin this weekend. I got some good spots there if you ever want to come. I got a 52 incher there last year

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:28 pm

kamilfishes

If your willing to fish ct lakes then quaddick lake is your best bet. Im goin this weekend. I got some good spots there if you ever want to come. I got a 52 incher there last year

52"? That fish would be well over 30lbs and a new state record at that length, got any pics?

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 pm

jbo112394

kamilfishes

52"? That fish would be well over 30lbs and a new state record at that length, got any pics?

i agree with your size estimate that a fish that size would be a new ct record considering the existing record is only 29 lbs and ive seen pictures of 45" pike that are 26 lbs so 52" is a big pike but that being said im stayin the hell outta this one lol. people get called out on stuff on here all the time and unless its a bltantly insulting lie (like a guy on here that posted a pic of a 3 lb pickerel and insisted that "its atleast 10 lbs") i stay out of it lol

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 pm

a quick example of calling out gone wrong lol is the pike in my profile pic. it was 39" and 13.47 lbs. i zeroed my scale and reweighed the fish twice and measured it with a stanley measuring tape and ive had people tell me to get my scale checked cause its only an 8 lb fish . lmao! i have pics of 8 lb pike that are literally half the size of this one and yet a few people have still told me im full of sh!t that its not 13lbs. so this is why i try not to allow myself to take part lol.

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:06 pm

The pictures in my photos on my profile

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:38 pm

kamilfishes

The pictures in my photos on my profile

oh yeah i remember seeing that picture last year. that is a killer fish

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Good luck. The following link is a good place to start. Pike info in MA isn't given up freely these days. http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/pike-stocking-sites.html
I spent all of last winter searching the internet from one end to another for information on ice fishing for pike. There are many lakes, ponds, and rivers that have been stocked across MA. Some still hold reproducing populations while others aren't worth wasting your time. Finding the places that have reproducing populations is the key to success. Even with the best preparation, the fishing can still be slow. Pike fishing is never a guarantee and I've had many flagless outings.

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for all help guys. I was going to hit quaboag this weekend but I guess there's an ice fishing derby going on there haha
anyways I appreciate the help

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links