Was watching some videos on pike and came across a video talking about quick strike rigs...specifically the zero rig...then I came to find several variations of quick strike rigs but the zero rig seemed like a simple and well thought out design to me. Sounded convincing and so I did some more research and have read mostly good things about quick strike rigs in general. I decided to make some with some 80# fluorocarbon and two size 4 Gamakatsu treble hooks. I simplified the design even more and just made a loop with a double overhand knot and plan on tying to my 50# power pro line with a double uni or albright knot. Now hopefully I can try it out and see what the hype is all about.

This is what the zero rig looks like:

Last edited by mr.victor on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 pm

i use homemade quick strikes for riggin suckers threw the ice for pike and they are gerat bait holders . my only confcern with this rig is that the hooks appear to be floating , you run the risk of massive tangles as well as questionable hooksets because of the free running hooks. i make my rigs with either coated 7 strand or 50lb flouro and basically it looks like an upside down "Y" . there is a hook at each of the ends of the Y and a swivel at the other. fold a piece of fluoro in have and run a swivel up top the fold then crimp it in place, then adjust the size of the tag ends to the size bait you are using and crimp a hook to each tag end. one hook gos in the suckers lip the other gos behing the dorsal

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:13 pm

I have zero (no pun intended) experience with these rigs or any quick strike rig for that matter but according to the video I saw, the great thing about this design is that you run the bait through the loop and hook one up front and one in the back (just like any QS rig)...this (theoretically) should not create any tangles and when you set the hooks the loop straightens out and the two hooks come together at the bottom of the loop doubling the chance of a hook sinking in...that's exactly why the hooks are floating...they claim the Y type QS rigs get tangled and caught up on the ice more when one hook is set and the other line and hook is flailing around during the fight. Seemed to make sense to me but again, this is just based on other people's word. I have never even caught a fish through the ice. This is my first season and I've been out 3 times in the last three weeks. Let me tell you though, I caught the bug somethin awful. I never thought I would like it but it's awesome. And so now I've just been scouring the net for info on pullin a trophy pike (or any pike for that matter lol) through that damn ice before it's all gone.

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I found the video which explains it better than I can:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkS6dwOPWs[/youtube]

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links