Hey guys, Im new to the world of kayak fishing and have or had high hopes for the upcoming season but i have hit a bit of a snag. I just purchased a potomac tidewater 100 ten foot fishing kayak and i currently drive a ford focus with no roof rack. My intital plan was to just throw it on top of my car with the foam blocks and straps but the problem im having is that the built in seat on the yak is bolted into the body and it wont fit properly on top of my car because of the height of the backrest. My queston is if there is any other way to solve my problem without purchasing a roof rack. Thanks guys.

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 am

Can you put the kayak on the roof/blocks upside right, so the seat back doesnt interfere... like as shown in the vid above?

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Couple of other thoughts that might help.

First, if you can't get the seat to fold down, load the boat stern forward. That way the seat blows down vs stands up to catch wind. You'll be breaking the ancient superstition of always hauling bow forward but at 60 mph, it's not hard to damage things that flap around.

Second, if you watch that video linked by Tacklesmith, you'll see the straps flapping around. Put a half twist in the strap before tightening to stabilize it.

Third, Take a look at this video and add similar straps to your fenders. It will save you from fishing around the bumper (and save your paint) on each trip. Once the straps are in, it's easy to make a reusable 2 legged line ( to run from the boat to the new fender straps) with Carabineer Clips on each end so that your boat fits in the exact right spot every time. Saves time too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOSM1ezHeo

hth
Good Luck

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links