This will be my first boat ever and I like the 1542 jon boat from tracker
1. Now do I need to register the boat if I use a electric motor instead of a gas motor {just want to putt along lakes or ponds like in Taunton,Norton and Freetown}
2. How much does it coast to register a trailer.
I do have a Dodge Ram 1500 that could fit in back of, but was thinking it would easier to move with trailer.
3. Do I need to get it insured also?

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 4:03 pm

this year was also my first boat and i got a new tracker 1236 and a trolling motor only (no outboard) yes once you put any kind of motor on your boat it must be registered, i registered mine and it took 10 minutes and cost 40 dollars plus maybe 5 dollars for the duplicate sets of stickers for your registration numbers (one set gos on each side of the bow). the place you register it is not the local rmv but a seperate building all together so look it up first so you dont wait in line at the rmv for 4 hours to find out you are at the wrong building lol. no you do not need to insure your boat if you only have a trolling motor ( im not sure about having gas power though) as for trailor im not sure cause i ratchet strap my boat to the roof of my jeep cherokee rather than pay extra to register and insure a trailor. hope this helps and good luck

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 pm

When I called my insurance company to add my trailer it didn't cost any extra. They just added it to my policy. You can insure your boat but don't have to. I think it was about 55 bucks to register the trailer. 2 things about that. Trailer registrations expire every november (bs) and you'll have to pay excise tax on the trailer (booooo).

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 7:05 pm

It say's in the info for the 1542 tracker:
{It’s light enough to transport on the roof of your vehicle or in the back of your pickup.}
So with a 6 foot truck bed and 2 more for tail gate , is there something else that would be needed to secure it to a truck?

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Ratchet straps are the way to go.

Posted Sat May 25, 2013 9:16 am

inkslinger

It say's in the info for the 1542 tracker:
{It’s light enough to transport on the roof of your vehicle or in the back of your pickup.}
So with a 6 foot truck bed and 2 more for tail gate , is there something else that would be needed to secure it to a truck?

i have the 1542 and i would suggest getting a trailer for it. putting it in the back might not work, the beam on it is wider than you think. if you have wheel wells that stick up in your bed, which you do, the boat will not fit its too wide. if you dont want to get a trailer your better off going with the 14 ft or 12 tracker these will fit in the back.
i have a ram 1500 and i have a 10ft tracker that i throw in the back and with the tailgate down the 10 ft sticks out 2 feet past my tailgate to put that in perspective. GET THE 1542 and trailer it. dont worry about the registering and such its easy and inexpensive stuff. 60 bucks a year for my trailer and 5 bucks excise tax and once its good to go you can renew it online both boat and trailer. boat regi is 40$ for 2 years.

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 pm

no way will you be able to safely put that boat on the bed of your truck unless you get a T bar extender or something. i throw a 12' on the back of my truck and even that's cutting it close.

boat registration information : http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech-assistance/enforcement/environmental-police/boat-rv-and-snowmobile-registration-bureau/

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Sam gets pulled over all the time and the cops like to beat him and laugh at the way he straps his boat down. It's pretty cool to see

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Get the 1542!! I bought mine a couple weeks ago and put it in the 6.5 bed of my f250. Also tailgate extender and ratchet straps. If your ever around Medford you should check mine out for ideas on converting to a mini bass boat. I def wouldn't put in on the roof of anything. The boat weighs probably 200lbs and is extremely awkward. Go with a trailer. Harbor freight 450$ just saying

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm

I had the harbor freight trailer and it did not work out, it's just too short for the 1542. Craigslist you'll find one.

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Glad you mentioned that. I was going to buy one for mine. Not anymore

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 pm

chevin37

I had the harbor freight trailer and it did not work out, it's just too short for the 1542. Craigslist you'll find one.

I was thinking about the Harbor Freight for our 10' Pelican. Do you still have yours Kev? Does anyone have one they are trying to get rid of?

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Sold roger

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:03 pm

You know my topper Kev. Would that trailer work good for it?

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Harbor freight makes the same brand of trailer just ula utility trailer like Evans kinda. That's what I'd do if I were you

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links