http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPojidC9roE

Has anyone fished these? I only recently stumbled on 'em though they've been around awhile, bought a bunch, and have been tying 'em up; and I'm very intrigued with how they're coming out. Thinking they might do well in these parts, but wondering if anyone has any direct experience....

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:57 pm

That craw looks so tasty. I may need to get one.

Posted Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am

Are there any issues with the using of the lead wire around the hook? Lead is lead, but is it legal to use in this instance as it is applied or would another alternative have to be used here in MA instead?

Posted Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I got several spools of lead free wire off e-bay last year that I'm using. It seems to require a bit more windings to achieve similar weight, but I think on the craw at least the bulkier body is better; and it works pretty well, and was reasonably priced.

Posted Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I haven't used that particular body material but have built similar craw flies using bodies cut from chamois cloth and ballon material.
The trick with these flies is more about weighting and balance than appearance. They need to ride hook up and not have the "tail" flap flip the fly ( like the lip on a swimming plug.) More flexable is bettr for body skin. Not sure I'm liking the thickness and stifnes of those bodies but I have not seen them when in the water (which is the true test!)
My 2 cents but I think a 25# Masson hard nylon weed guard to keep it weedless and right it if it flips would be worth while.. I'd also be using a touch of superglue on the lead and at tie in points.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links