It looks like the ice season is going to be here for a while so I figured I'd ask some advice on the techniques and gear used for tip ups. Right now I'm using a 1/0 circle hook tied to a 3' leader of 14# mono. I primarily target bass and pickerel but I do fish lakes that have pike and will fish for them too. My main question is what size/style hook do you use on your tip ups?

Lately it seems like the fish have been taking my bait but not the hook (if that makes any sense). Its almost like I'm pulling the bait out of their mouth. I had over 10 false flags the other day. I would go to set the hook but the line didn't seem to have any tension at all. Like the fish are almost biting the bait and dropping it. Maybe just weird spawning behavior? I typically use 4-6" minnows hooked through the mouth. Should I switch to trebled? Hook them through the back? I'm getting tired of losing fish.

Any advice helps. I'm getting close to donating my traps to charity haha

Posted Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 am

Not sure i'm going to say this exactly correct thing BUT.... I believe circle hooks can lead to missed fish when setting the hook abruptly and not just leaning back on them (from what I've read and seen on TV Cool ).
I would just change hook style over to a more straight shank type and hook minnow under dorsal fin. trebles just cause damage and more of a pia. Good luck and have fun

Posted Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Short shank low profile 1/0 -3/0 work all day, go to #2 for smaller fish

No circles as J said, no fish with them....

Posted Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Most of my traps have circle hooks on them, pretty small for the most part, 1/0 sounds about right. Hook the shiner in the back. When the flag goes off, check the line to see if its angled off to the side. Take up a little slack and when you feel a little weight just start pulling it in. Don't try to set the hook. The constant pressure sets the circle hook almost always right in the lip. Just be patient and keep it steady. I use almost the same set up, but I use 20# flouro and sometimes add a few beads or spinner blades above the hook.

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. I swapped out my gear for 16# flouro and 2/0 octopus hooks. Hopefully I see some improvement in my flag to snag ratio

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 am

volume4130

Most of my traps have circle hooks on them, pretty small for the most part, 1/0 sounds about right. Hook the shiner in the back. When the flag goes off, check the line to see if its angled off to the side. Take up a little slack and when you feel a little weight just start pulling it in. Don't try to set the hook. The constant pressure sets the circle hook almost always right in the lip. Just be patient and keep it steady. I use almost the same set up, but I use 20# flouro and sometimes add a few beads or spinner blades above the hook.

x2 - do not set the hook. constant pressure does it.

Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links