Gentlemen, anyone know of good rivers to fish within 30 minutes of Boston? I've tried the Charles but got nothing but garbage (literally).

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 pm

No, there are no trout rivers that I am aware of that are within 30 minutes of Boston. You would need to go further in any direction (except East of course)

Last edited by bloomagoo on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm

If you're talking trout you're better off traveling a little further than 30 minutes. The Squannacook and Nissitissit rivers are pretty decent. On the North Shore the Parker and Ipswich rivers are good in the spring. They get fished out pretty fast and don't have much holdover throughout the year.
The central and western part of Mass have better trout streams that hold fish year round.
Go to the mass wildlife website, they have a list of all the trout stocked waters. The Charles can be good after they stock it but it gets fished out fast. Timing is everything.

This fish was caught about an hour and a half from Boston in November. Worth the ride once in a while in my opinion.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm

wow!!! that looks like a swift bow. i think i caught him before

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 pm

wow!!! that looks like a swift bow. i think i caught him before

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 pm

There are plenty of small ponds and a whole ocean within that distance. Just look at a map and pick some spots to survey.
Broaden your focus to Bass and the salt and you'll be rewarded. You'll be amazed at the little spots that hold nice fish.

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:29 am

Totally agree, however the OP asked specifically about rivers. For me, rivers are at the bottom of my list of places to fly fish Very Happy

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:44 am

bloomagoo

Totally agree, however the OP asked specifically about rivers. For me, rivers are at the bottom of my list of places to fly fish Very Happy

Same here. At least within 100 mi of my home (in SE MA). That said, An estuary is like a river that reverses flow four times a day. Estuaries are at the top of my list come next month!

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 am

guppy11

Gentlemen, anyone know of good rivers to fish within 30 minutes of Boston? I've tried the Charles but got nothing but garbage (literally).

If you're still looking to catch trout, now's the time to start
fishing the local streams. Check the mass wildlife website for recent stockings.

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:31 pm

guppy11

sorry but i have to strongly disagree with you. may not have fly fishing material but there is LOTS of big bass in the charles. and carps

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Not much close to Boston. Your best bet is to drive to Logan and fly to another state. Kidding, but not really.

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links