I went to castle island the other day and tried multiple spots and nothing. i used both artificial and real baits and lures. I fished off the pier and off of the bridge where the furthermost point is. I was using a 4 oz. weight and 2 foot leader, with sea worms and gulp as bait. I even tried fresh mackerel and still nothing . what can i do and where can i go to make sure that this does not happen again?

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 10:06 am

Might be too early for stripers. Theres a few guys on the site that fish that area so hopefully they will chime in for you

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 11:46 am

@mr.troutmaster,

Whenever you surf fish, pier fish or fish out of boat in the harbor....you have to be mindful of the tides. Fish move in and out of shallow water coastal areas according to the tide.

I have not fished saltwater for years but I think if you fish an outgoing high tide you might have more success then fishing a incoming low tide.

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 11:56 am

I've always had best luck one hour before and one to one and a half hours after peak high tide. A little early in the season for stripers, but they are coming real soon! Right now they're still down in the NY area.

http://www.noreast.com/saltwater-fishing-reports.cfm

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Fish are not in boston yet the only ones up around here are resident stripers in rivers all the schoolies are hitting the canal now and had the first reports of bluefish on the south end of the canal. And dont expect to catch fish everytime out while saltwater fishing.

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Castle Island in another week or two. ...

I couldn't wait any longer... I found India Point park. I went twice an and fished the last hour-and-a half of the incoming tide (Sunday and Wednesday). I set out two bait poles, walked to the nearby gas station, and my friend hooked into 2 respectable stripers on my rods.. about 20" each. He lost BOTH. I would have thought he was teasing me, but he asked a non-fishing jogger for help holding the rods and netting... Lost both at shore and the jogger confirmed. Then a school of pogies came, and our lures got some smashes but we came up snake eyes.

Second trip I saw 2 ~20 inchers come in. Nothing for me.

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 pm

thanks for the feed back do you think there will be any stripers around on memorial day at marthas vineyard?

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 10:36 am

I'm catching some on the north shore. Nothing big but definitely not hold overs. A friend has been reporting fish in Boston with sea lice.

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Martha's Vineyard Memorial Day --- yes. They'll be there.

Posted Sat May 17, 2014 1:03 am

I live right down the road and have never wet a line at Castle Island, but I want to start. What are some good baits to start throwing? I don't have enough patience to deal with cut or live bait.

Posted Sun May 18, 2014 7:09 pm

I live right by Castle Island and fish there often. Those Pearl colored eel looking lures seem to hit pretty good. Ive taken a worm or mac and put a bobber on it and tossed it into pleasure cove when i see them feeding on top. It can be a good location. Someone told me to go closer to the island by the war memorial and fish off that. Never had any luck at the actual fishing pier i usually fish off the wall where the 2 breaks are for the water ways. Good luck...

Posted Sun May 18, 2014 9:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links