I live on the south shore, I'm looking for some fishing locations that are active and not completely overrunned with weeds, I fished Jacobs Pond in Hingham and it wasn't bad at the beginning of the season but now the weeds are getting out of control. I have all sorts of new lures I want to try out but with thick weeds it makes me stick to top water and weedless worm rigs!

Where do you fish??

Posted Sat May 31, 2014 8:28 pm

I hit massapoag in Sharon this morning with a couple of other guys here. It's pretty free of weeds. They have a boat ramp there too

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:21 pm

get_to_lapointe

I live on the south shore, I'm looking for some fishing locations that are active and not completely overrunned with weeds, I fished Jacobs Pond in Hingham and it wasn't bad at the beginning of the season but now the weeds are getting out of control. I have all sorts of new lures I want to try out but with thick weeds it makes me stick to top water and weedless worm rigs!

Where do you fish??

Jacobs is over run weeds, any other place you go to will have less weeds. There are suppose to do weed management there this year, or so what I have been told. Wouldn't hurt, its slop.

Weeds are your friend, learn how to fish them. 1 acre of a weedy lake holds as many fish as 10 acre of non weeds.

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Buy a stout rod, some braid, and a couple Spro frogs. We will no longer be an issue. =)

But Massapoag is a good suggestion.

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm a novice when it comes to fishing, done it all my life but now I'm starting to get into it more serious that being said...braid is type of line? And I've never fished with frogs...

Some tips on fishing the weeds would be helpful too, all I use is top water rigs because I get frustrated cleaning my lures and reeling in half the pond every cast

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:43 pm

I primarily frog fish.. well maybe 60%... zoom horny toads with a zoom frog hook. 40-60 power pro braid.. there are bunches of ponds on the south shore that have less weeds than Jaccobs in Norwell. I would try Oldhams in Pembroke, Monponsett Whitman/Hanson, Indian head Hanson and Halfway pond Plymouth almost no weeds there.

Last edited by mrsdano on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Braid is a type of fishing line...learn to tie very secure knots if you choose to use braided line...otherwise you might just whip your brand new lures right off the line!

If you get hung up while using braid do not use your rod to lever (Muscle) the lure out of the weeds, trees, etc. you will either break the rod or when the hooks or weeds give way, your hook or lure will come back at you with great force.

Braid and other super lines will cut you like a knife if you try to grab it with your bare hands.

Get yourself a Johnson's silver minnow, which is mostly weedless, hang a twister tail grub off of it and fish it across the tops of lilies or in the holes in the weeds.

Goodluck Very Happy

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:40 pm

For frog fishing, I use anywhere from 50–65lb test Power Pro braid. I use Ugly Stik rods, 6' 6" or 7', heavy action. People roll their eyes at that, but I've not found a better frog rod that's not $250 or more, and I'm not paying that much for a rod. Ever. Haha. And they work great, so why would I?

Last edited by kenwood on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:24 pm

kenwood

For frog fishing, I use anywhere from 50–65lb test Power Pro braid. I use Ugly Stik rods, 6.6' or 7', heavy action. People roll their eyes at that, but I've not found a better frog rod that's not $250 or more, and I'm not paying that much for a rod. Ever. Haha. And they work great, so why would I?

till this season i was using whatever 50 dollars heavy combo walmart or BPS had to offer for frog fishing... now i use 30lb braid on the MH vendetta and thats perfect!!!

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 pm

enogueira

kenwood

For frog fishing, I use anywhere from 50–65lb test Power Pro braid. I use Ugly Stik rods, 6.6' or 7', heavy action. People roll their eyes at that, but I've not found a better frog rod that's not $250 or more, and I'm not paying that much for a rod. Ever. Haha. And they work great, so why would I?

till this season i was using whatever 50 dollars heavy combo walmart or BPS had to offer for frog fishing... now i use 30lb braid on the MH vendetta and thats perfect!!!

Yeah, that'll work. =)

Posted Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:58 pm

I use a St. Croix Bass Mojo 7 or 7'3" (broke one in car door last year Sad ) Heavy rod with 50 lb Power Pro braid. Solid combination with real good backbone, which is what you need for the slop. Love the frog fishing, but always have some type of trailor hook, at least a small one, in addition to the lure's stock hooks! I find I get a much higher hookup ratio than without.

Posted Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links