Hello everyone, I'm Noah and I've been in Somerville for the past couple years. I lived in Tennessee before and fished quite often for trout and small mouth bass. Weather is getting warmer out and I've got the itch to get out and fish! I do have a quick question about rod and reel combo. Before I used to use a 5' rod with 10lb test line and caught both bass and trout with it, but I was wading in the water and didn't need a longer rod. I know the terrain and fish are different here, can anyone recommend what size rod and pound test line would be good for both trout and smallmouth fishing? Also, if anyone is up for fishing I'm always down. Good to be a part of this forum!

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Welcome. The gear you have should do the job fine.

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Depends alot of what your looking to catch as well as fishing conditions( weeded, rocky, alot of cover) and the lures your using. You can buy a cheap medium action 6.6 almost anywhere and that will cover alot of the varieties of lures,Unless your going to get into it die hard ( like most us boys).welcome aboard this is a great site to make some friends and have some fun. I'm right in Medford so if you ever want to go out I can show you some spots.

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Born and raised in the old "Ville". Nowhere to fish in the city, but there is some decent fishing close by at least. Welcome aboard!

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I'm over near Sullivan Square which is convenient for getting on 93. Can anyone recommend some good spots to get started? I see people fishing along the mystic but I hear it isn't the best spot.

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Hit spot pond an hour or so before sunset. Just be aware that you can't park there after dark.

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:42 am

You don't want to be around that area after dark anyway

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:34 am

I think the upper mystic boat ramp is much worse than spot. And I will never go back got the Winchester res as long as I live

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 am

I've never had any issues fishing Spot pond. The Mystic ramp area can be shady but I have had no issues there either.

What happened at Winchester res? I had a few "issues" there when I was younger. I still think for the most part it is safe as long as you are far from the sheepfold. The biggest problem over there is John Rambo and his patrol truck. He is not a nice guy at all.

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:39 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links