Just started fishing this year & I'm hooked . Wink I bought a small Jon boat from a neighbor, but sold it after 2 outings. It was just too small for my son & I. Looking for some advise. Want something that can hold at least 2 average adults & is light enough to car-top on my mini-van. Or something that might fit inside the van too. So far I have narrowed it down to several choices. A sports pal 14' canoe, 10' or 12' Jon boat and a mini bass boat (bass raider). Would also like to have a trolling motor. Any input would be very helpful!

Posted Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:25 am

Check these out. My friend has one and they are GREAT!!!

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Posted Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:31 am

I fished from a canoe for many years and my buddy just got a row boat from his uncle and I find that much easier - they're bigger, more options with motors/trolling motors, and you can stand up in them, which makes a difference when you're out fishing for longer periods of time. The canoe is easier to get to certain spots because of size/weight, but if you're fishing lakes and whatnot that have boat launches or easy access, this isn't really an issue.

Posted Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am

Hey thanks for the input guys!
I have seen the porta-boats, they seem like the best way to go. But, they are kinda pricey. The 10' is about $1,800 .

I'm thinkin about $600-$800 price range. Its looking like a jon boat or canoe. Do you guys understand the weight capacities?

A member from bass resource.com posted that the weight cap are what it takes to sink the boat to the bottom?

My concern with a jon boat is that the weight caps are an the low side for the size boats I'm looking at (tracker 1232). Should I be concerned about putting 2 adults, battery, trolling motor and maybe 2 swivell seats ?

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:56 am

Canoes are good but they are too close to the water.
I like to be able to see in the water to find stumps,rocks,ect.

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:25 pm

a few years back i bought a 8 ft pond prowler from bass pro which i love and is very comfortable. it is a lil heavy but one person can carry it. when i bought mine including trolling motor i payed close to $1,000 for the whole set up. its perfect to get into small areas like a canoe and its very sturdy you can stand in the boat with out worrying about tipping over the seats are high enough so you can see into the water also. the 8 ft is good for two adults but it does get a lil crowded. and its great for shallow water access to cause the bootms flat it doesnt draw much water to float it.

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 pm

thank for the input.
I had sent a pm to natickguy couple of weeks. We talked just last week & I bought his rig.

Its a 11' crawdad, trailer, trolling motor & battery. I really didn't want to bother with a trailer but, price was to good.

With a little leg work & running around to register boat & trailer, should be ready to go by spring! Laughing

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links