I am looking to try to get into the surf fishing, but need to get a surf fishing rod/reel. I would like to get a combo reel/rod, but if not, it would not be a big deal. I am having trouble figuring out what I should be looking for in specifications. I know I need the real to hold at least 16-20lb line with at least 200-260yds and the rod should be at least 8-10 feet. I prefer and am used to spinning reels.

I do not understand the terminology when it says things like size 4000 or 75 reel. Really I am just having trouble with the reel aspect of finding the correct combo rod. So basically I just need to know what these sizes mean or someone to tell me what sizes would be best to buy so that I can put at least 16-20lb/250yds of line onto it.

If possible I'd like to buy one off of amazon.com since I have a few gift cards for there and would rather not spend the cash and get rid of the gift cards.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:54 am

My brief 2 cents. I assume you are wanting to try your hand at fishing for stripers from shore, and it sounds like you probably don't want to break the bank. For a new entry-level reel...my buddy just bought a med-sized Penn Sargus (~$85) for stripers and so far he is happy with it. Other option...I think the older Penn reels (I use an old 650ss) are higher quality, and you can find them used for $75-85 (craigslist, ebay). I don't know much about the other brands, but I'm sure they have solid entry level options too.

For rod...this depends on whether you want to toss bait or lures? For lures, most people use a 9-10' rod with medium action (I use a 9' Tica), which is good for striper lures that are 1-3 oz. For bait, you'll need a heavier/stiffer rod because you'll be using more weight to hold the bait on the bottom. The action (e.g. medium) and suggested lure/bait weight (e.g. 1-4 oz.) should be written on the rod. You might consider buying your rod in person so you can try it out, put your reel on it, and ask lots of questions (there are lots of good places...I like Surfland).

Also, google "striper," "rod," "reel," and you'll find all sorts of discussions all over the internet. Good luck fishing!!!

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 pm

What size reel do I need though?

A lot of them, when looking online especially when it is a reel/rod combo, do not say the line weight/yard specifics so I am trying to figure out what would be the best so that it could hold at least 16-20lb line/250yards of line.

For example they will just say reel size 75 or 4000 or 80, etc.

I need to know what size using these types of sizing categories.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I would recommend reading-up on the surf rods and reels people use for stripers (if this is the fish you want)...there are tons of detailed discussions online and you can just use google to find them.

It sounds like you are getting confused by reel model numbers, which vary company to company. For example, the Penn Sargus comes in models 1000-8000, and for surf fishing you would probably want the 5000. These numbers mean nothing if you start talking about another model or company.

Also, I would shy away from buying a combo since this might not best match your type of fishing. You might consider buying the reel you want online, then buy in person a rod that matches your targeted fish and anticipated bait weight (and a tackle store fisherman can help you pick the right one). Personally, I use a 9' Tica UGSA surf rod ($115) for striper lures in the surf, but there are a ton of other reasonably priced rods out there. Maybe you could also try heading over to a tackle store that sells lots of surf gear to see the possible reels and rods in person...but if they help you a lot, then buy at least some of your stuff from there. Good Luck!

PS: First, search for surf rod and reel discussion online....

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm not getting the model size confused with the reel size.

for example

Daiwa Opus Bite and Run Saltwater Spinning Fishing Reel come in the following sizes: 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Saltwater-Spinning-Fishing-Black/dp/B008RRYKQI/ref=sr_1_4?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1405463474&sr=1-4&keywords=5000+size+reel

vs something like

Quantum Fishing Blue Runner Spin Fishing Reel comes in the following sizes: 50, 60, 70, 80

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Fishing-Blue-Runner-Spin/dp/B00497XYVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1405463863&sr=1-1&keywords=80+size+reel

I'm asking on here because I have spent the past 2 days searching the internet trying to figure out the reel sizes for surf fishing, but all I can find is that it is a preference between spin or conventional, the about/weight of the line, etc but nothing about the size of the reel to buy.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:39 pm

you are not going to find that info on amazon. you need to go to the manufacturer's website. example daiwa, look for your reel and it will tell you how much line it will hold and its weight.
http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/spinning.aspx

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links