Do any of you guys have any experience with silver lines like Silver Thread or Carbotex? I have an opportunity to pick some 2 or 4lb up for my ultralight setup for trout fishing but a little unsure about the color. Trout don't like lines so I'm trying to find a nice thin line to use. 2 and 4 lb mono on my setup gives me terrible memory so I'm willing to try something different. Not interested in braid for this setup. Fishing Trout Magnets with this setup. Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 am

try a flourocarbon line, or at least a flouro leader...everyone on the tv shows say its very lo-vis for fish and its tough against abrasions and whatnot. i found it annoying to have a whole spool of it on my spinning rod, but then i tried using a few foot leader, and that was good. I used some pretty heavy flouro for leader on my ice fishing rigs and I've had good luck catching a lot of toothy pickerel. No bite offs or anything.

Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 pm

heron25

Do any of you guys have any experience with silver lines like Silver Thread or Carbotex? I have an opportunity to pick some 2 or 4lb up for my ultralight setup for trout fishing but a little unsure about the color. Trout don't like lines so I'm trying to find a nice thin line to use. 2 and 4 lb mono on my setup gives me terrible memory so I'm willing to try something different. Not interested in braid for this setup. Fishing Trout Magnets with this setup. Thanks in advance.

I used to use green silver thread exclusively (bass). As i progressed i realized how much stretch this stuff had. One time it stretched so bad i couldn't break my line pulling straight. It was like an elastic band.
So i have switched to a fluro leader. Be careful if you spool up completely with fluorocarbon it has extreme memory and needs to be changed often.
These are my findings while bass fishing. I'm not sure how they will affect trout fishing.
Good luck

Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

thanks for the info. I'm very hesitant to use flouro on an ultralight at 2lb's because everything I've heard and read is that it's too stiff and it does sink. I will throw an occassional yo-zuri pin out there and I don't believe flouro and topwater go hand in hand. The silver color is what I'm most curious about. I can't find any info on how it looks to line weary fish like green or clear lines. Do you guys have any opinion on the color of the line? Did you get any more/less/same hookups that in your opinion were because of the color?

Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:13 pm

heron25

thanks for the info. I'm very hesitant to use flouro on an ultralight at 2lb's because everything I've heard and read is that it's too stiff and it does sink. I will throw an occassional yo-zuri pin out there and I don't believe flouro and topwater go hand in hand. The silver color is what I'm most curious about. I can't find any info on how it looks to line weary fish like green or clear lines. Do you guys have any opinion on the color of the line? Did you get any more/less/same hookups that in your opinion were because of the color?

2 lb line? wow. That is cool. I can tell you i don't use flouro on any topwater applications because it does sink. I wish i could help you on the color but i use green or clear. But I'm sure someone has a good answer for you.
Good luck next season.

Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 pm

thank you both for the info and help. I do appreciate it. I'm nervous about the 2lb test but the reviews I've been reading on copoly lines are that they are stronger than their lb test rating. So i'm hoping that the 2lb is actually more like 3 or 4. The price is cheap enough where I'm willing to give it a shot. I can't find one article on the silver color for lines. Very interesting.

Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links