Hey fellow kayakers. I need some help/tips on how to best use an anchor with my boat. I've had a nice 3.5lb folding anchor for a little while, finally got around to installing a trolley last week, but I'm still having huge problems with drifting in winds and currents. The anchor came with a 25 foot line already tied on, which as far as I can tell just means I now have a 25 foot drifting radius, so instead of getting carried away I'm just getting spun around in a big circle. The trolley seemed to help a bit, but even then if felt like a I was just controlling the axis on which Id be spinning. I tried feeling the anchor hit the bottom and then tying off the line so there was as little slack as possible, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the trolley. It feels like there's something obvious I'm missing here.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 am

hey walleye... did u install a cleat to keep the trolley in place? what you can do is instead of using the 25'rope, get a retractable dog leash and just lock the trolley. and 25' rope, doesnt mean 25' radius. lets say you anchor up at 10' of water. you have to tie another knot at the 13th feet of line, but if you get the leash, you wouldnt have to be making the extra knots

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 am

Hey Junior, yeah I installed a zig zag and everything. Is there a formula/ratio you use to decide how much extra line to let out? I think I just gotta tinker with my setup more

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:47 am

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:47 am

I installed a trolley system on my kayak last weekend and tried it out. The wind was blowing pretty good last weekend too and I had no problem. I have my trolley line and I have my anchor line. Anchor line runs through a ring on the trolley line and a float on the anchor rope. Then run the trolley forward or aft depending on the position of the kayak you want. Then cleat off both ropes. Have to admit, I didn't pendulum or really move much at all.
If I need to "jettison" the anchor rope for some reason (hopefully to get drug around by a huge fish) I uncleat and throw the anchor rope overboard. The knot on the end will slide through the ring on the trolley, but not the ring on the float. I can go back and pick up my anchor later.
System functioned pretty damn good last weekend.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 pm

walleyefanatic

Hey Junior, yeah I installed a zig zag and everything. Is there a formula/ratio you use to decide how much extra line to let out? I think I just gotta tinker with my setup more

Hey man, usually I just give a few extra inches. It depends if I'm near a drop off or not. Obviously you'll drag a bit before your anchor really stops you

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I've tried a couple more times since
posting and here's the gist of what I'm struggling
with. I've got the anchor rigged so I can give a little extra line and then zig zag both the trolley and anchor, and it all seems to work the way it's supposed to, but even when I'm anchored the wind
still pushes me around in a big 180 degree arc. One second I'm facing the shore and the next I'm completely turned around. I haven't moved any distance, but I'm still constantly having to readjust so that I'm actually pointed at the area I'm targeting (stern and bow placement of the trolley seems to have little difference in this regard). Is this just a normal/frustrating aspect of kayak fishing and anchoring? Do I need to just suck it up? Haha

Posted Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 am

walleyefanatic

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I've tried a couple more times since
posting and here's the gist of what I'm struggling
with. I've got the anchor rigged so I can give a little extra line and then zig zag both the trolley and anchor, and it all seems to work the way it's supposed to, but even when I'm anchored the wind
still pushes me around in a big 180 degree arc. One second I'm facing the shore and the next I'm completely turned around. I haven't moved any distance, but I'm still constantly having to readjust so that I'm actually pointed at the area I'm targeting (stern and bow placement of the trolley seems to have little difference in this regard). Is this just a normal/frustrating aspect of kayak fishing and anchoring? Do I need to just suck it up? Haha

Hey man, it's not normal. I think you are just not setting the trolley according to the wind direction and where you wanna cast. 8574455821 text me bro.

Posted Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 am

typical ratio for scope to depth is 7:1. I have the small folding anchor and I have 100 feet of line just in case. I let out at least 2:1 and if I don't grab solid, I let out more line.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 pm

If your shallow enough, try using a stake pole vs anchor. Another option is two anchors. I make mine from capped 2" PVC filled with lead and sand. The rope can then be wrapped right around them for storage and they don't beat up the boat.

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links