Here's a general question for everyone to chime in on Smile

How long do you fish a lure, technique, or area before switching to something else?

I usually only have a couple of hours to fish. So, what I do is watch the weather report and try to plan a strategy the night before, set up a couple of rods with two different lures. Then if that doesn't work I tweek it on the fly.

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:04 pm

That's a good question. I choose lures/techniques completely by instantaneous gut feel, unless I have purchased something new or learned something and want to try it out. Whenever I look at a body of water, even out the window of the car, I just get a sense of where I would like to throw something--soft plastics along the edge of lily pads, jitterbug against a shoreline, etc... Probably based partly on a collection of memories of catching fish under certain circumstances, partly out of conscious and subconscious superstition. Sometimes I'll throw logic into the mix, reading up on tips and trying them out, but mostly it's just a feeling, and sometimes that works really well.

That all said, I'm no professional, I get out when I can to have some fun, I carry one rod and usually use a snap swivel so I can change my mind every third cast and not have to tie a knot.

Sometimes I think I change too much, not giving a technique or lure a long enough shot. But ultimately I think one of the most important aspects of fishing a lure or technique is confidence. If you don't think you stand any chance of catching fish with a particular lure, you probably won't. So you have to survey your situation, your water, the weather and whatever, and select something that makes you feel good, like you are really just about to get that Lunker on the next cast. If I don't truly believe and have full confidence that I have a shot at a good fish on each cast, I'll change to something else that makes me feel more confident. I find being confident makes it fun, even if I don't catch fish!

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:31 pm

i saw an interesting take on this same question a few weeks ago on one of the fishing shows on cable. the guy recommended picking 3 different types of lures / baits, all within the same color range. find the spot you want to try, structure, etc. and throw one for 15 casts. if nothing hits, switch to your 2nd choice, 15 casts, and then the 3rd lure.

i've tried this a couple of times and the fish seemed to pick one of the 3 and stick with it. had to go through the rotation a few times until we hit the right spot an the right lure. a few times i found myself speeding up the retrieve anticipating the lure change coming. had to remind myself to stay consistent. not sure why, just something i noticed. i can't really say how well this method works as i haven't tried it enough and it's been slow with the end of season weather.

me and nicholas always go together and we each start off with different baits until one of us hits one that works. then we will switch to the same type.

research is good too. what type of bait fish are in the pond. try to match the colors. if it's crowded or over fished, throw something new, different, or uncommon. something they haven't seen lately. i've also read a few articles that say focus more on depth rather than the specific type of bait or lure. if the fish are holding at 15 feet and you are fishing an 8 foot bottom, it won't matter what you throw.

it's really a combination of a bunch of different factors. lure color, depth, water temp, weather, time of day, location, etc, etc. try a few things and stick with what works best on a consistent basis. just remember that will change from time to time.

almost makes me sound like i know what i'm talking about, lol....

Posted Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:19 pm

#1 - seasonal patterns - pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn, summer, fall, winter (this will of course vary according to species - I am mainly referring here to largemouth bass fishing).

example: you're NOT gonna wanna go to the back of the creeks and burn buzzbaits in 2 ft. of water in mid-December... but that same approach in May can work out great!

Learn about the fish you're after - and go to any store with an aquarium section and get one of those floating glass thermometers(about $4) and keep it in your tacklebox. The water temperature will tell you what they're generally doing at that time of the year.

#2 - start with a horizontal lure - i.e., spinnerbait, crankbait, Rattletrap, jerkbait, buzzbait, etc. - to find active fish. There is very rarely only 1 fish in an area, unless it's a big pike/musky/flathead catfish... (in the case of panfish, there can be dozens if not more!)a hook-up or swipe will tell you there are fish there. It's now your job to figure out what they'll hit.

If I can move to various spots, then I won't nit-pick an area with worms, jigs, etc. if I don't get any sign of activity with a horizontal lure, spot them in the shallows, breaking the surface, etc... I cover the area with fancasts and if I don't get anything, I move on.

If I CAN'T move to other spots - i.e., only a short time to fish, no access, have to stay in one spot, then I will go to vertical/slow/subtle presentations, but only after the horizontal approach first.

#3 - if you get some quick hits, and they shut down, then go to the slower stuff, like jig-n-grubs, jig-n-pig, soft plastic worms or lizards(killer in the spring!), Senkos, tubes.

**if you're getting hits or seeing swirls, but not hooking up, usually it means you're almost there, but just need to fine-tune - i.e., vary the retrieve, change color, etc.

**if you have more than 1 rod/reel, keep one rigged with a tube or Senko or Sluggo-type lure, so if you miss a strike with your faster presentation, you can often throw it in the same spot and get hooked up. That fish didn't swipe at your lure then run a hundred yards up the bank, he's still around close somewhere...

**ask yourself "why/where/how EXACTLY did I catch that fish?" Was it on the edge of current, or slack water? weeds or wood? fast or slow presentation? how deep/shallow? windy or calm? If you catch some bass in 3 ft. water near logs on a jig-n-pig, you should be able to repeat that in other similar areas. That's pattern fishing.

**while these tips sound specific, they're really just generalities. Anything could happen - 3 or 4 years ago my wife was tossing a chartreuse spinnerbait for bass in a small lake outlet near our apartment in (Lake Sabbatia in Taunton - we live in Middleboro now) where we've caught many bass, crappie, sunfish, pickerel, etc. - and caught a 35-pound snapping turtle!!!

sorry to write a book here, but I just love this stuff! Fishing can be so challenging and exciting. You wouldn't hunt by shooting up in the sky and expecting a duck to fly into your shot - but that's how people fish all the time. Laughing Just abit of applied knowledge can make a HUGE difference in one's success rate.

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:25 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links