I've used 5'6", 6', 6'6", 7' rods out of my kayak.... anyone use anything longer than that?? Something like a 7'6" or 8'?? My 7' fishing rod doesn't have a real long grip so it's not hard to cast out of a kayak. Was wondering if anyone used longer rods for swimbait fishing out of a kayak.....

Posted Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:54 pm

If you count fly rods, then yes, 9'6".

Posted Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:10 am

I have a Frog (7'6" I think) and Swimbait (maybe 7'9") rods that I use comfortably on my kayak.

My biggest issue with the rods are getting them caught on overhangs when they are in my rod holders.

I'm fishing primarily out of a Sit On Top kayak.

Posted Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am

i hate the over hangs when in my kayak

Posted Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 am

I made rod holders out of PVC pipe, crosses, elbows. My fishing rods stick straight up. when I used to use the original rod holders, the rods stuck outward and back. I used to hang up on stuff all the time. The new setup worked a lot better. Thanks for the info guys.... got my eyes on a 7' 11" Heavy action rod for swimbaiting next year.... out to get the job done....

Posted Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 pm

I mostly fish with rods longer than 7' out of the kayak, both fresh and salt. Longer rods are needed to maneuver catch around the kayak from most seating positions; and offer further casting accuracy and distance.

I have both single an multi-piece rods for the purpose. The multi-piece rods offer the same performance but with the ability to break-down for more compact storage in the kayak, if needed; and with todays 'ferrule' technology (reinforced, non-metallic, paste/epoxy filled connections) there's no longer any compromise as it relates to durability, or performance, at the inter-connections; making multi-piece rods a great choice for 'on-the-go' applications.

I keep any 'spare' rods laying down horizontally in the kayak, with horizontal rod holders, so the only vertical rod is the one I'm fishing with. I used to have the extra rods in vertical holders, only to get them hung up in overhanging tree branches at in-opportune times.

Posted Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links