I'm new to the area, just moved to Middleboro a few weeks ago... I've been seeing conflicting information on the 'net - is Assawompset Pond open to the public or private? It's just a hop, skip & a jump from the house, so it'd be a shame not to be able to fish there.

*confused*

thanks in advance,

Tony

P.S. if you've fished there, any tips are welcome! Wink

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 am

Hey there tony93!

I think I can help you with the Assawompsett Pond Mystery. The pond is open to a degree. The area of the pond known as Betty's Neck is public access and therefore open to all anglers. I've heard reports of good bass fishing there and even the potential for some pike if you're lucky.

Take note though, not all of the lake is open. The areas that come to mind are the dam that borders route 18 & 105 is completely off limits to fishing. Also, I believe the area that borders the Cranberry Farm to the eastern portion of the pond is off limits too.

If you want the full scoop, swing by Middleboro town hall and try talking to one of the clerks. I tried that and the lady who worked there gave me a map of the area and even showed the off limits areas on the map.

Hope that helps you. Let me know how the fishing is at that pond. I wanted to do it but I never had the chance to do it.

Good Luck!

-Corsaircane

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 am

hey, thanks very much for the info, Corsaircane!

I'll make a post if anything works out there.

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 pm

How's it going tony93?

Here's a follow-up to my post concerning the pond. It's a little lengthy but it gives a better summary of where and when to fish on Assawompsett [url=http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/10-02/10-20-02/e09sp186.htm]

Take care![/url]

Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46 pm

thanks again - that is quite helpful as well...

there is one snag though - unfortunately, that article is 8 years old, so I'm guessing things may have changed since then. Maybe more areas are open now? I dunno, I hope so. I'll check it out with the people at town hall. If/when I found out more current info, I'll certainly post it up.

Thank you again, I really do appreciate it.

A place that BIG being closed for a hundred years, there's got to be some HUGE fish in there!!!!!!!!

Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links