I know that this was answer all the time , I just learn how to set my bait caster brake setting , now would like to ask about the cast. Do I keep my thumb on the spool during the cast movement to brake.

Last edited by inkslinger on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:42 pm

i always thumb the spool, always

Posted Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

I thumb it also, helps keep the spool from going crazy and backlashing too. It also helps you from throwing lures into trees during errant casts, because you can stop it short...

Posted Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 pm

if done right, you will only need to use your thumb to feather the spool to stop. if you keep in contact the whole cast you will not get the distance that is possible. also experement with the preasure you put on the spool at the end to almost drop the lure into the water without a ripple. this is really fun to do, and practice when ever i can in the yard to become more accurate.

Posted Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 pm

yup, 'feathering' is the key - it will come with practice/experience, you'll learn how to vary the pressure you apply with your thumb, from barely touching to full stop...

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 am

Will this was the first good weather 50* , I grab my new rod and reel and went out to play with my new toy out at Lake Rico in East Taunton the 2 hours out I use a Money Minnow 3 inch and cast with all different settings, my first cast were about 15 to 20 yards then did some tweaks with the side brakes and started hitting 25 to 50 yards , using my thumb on the spool came easy !!
It was until I set my side brake on my reel to off that I got my first big bird nest!! when I cast. Now I know to set my brakes at lest at number 3 There was when I was casting the fur-est out with the comfort cast.

Thanks Guys for the tip's

Posted Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:58 pm

i've only used a baitcaster a couple of times and couldn't really get used to it. i did see a cool tip on tv the other day. they suggested making a normal cast, then let out the same amount of line after. so you basically have 2 cast lengths out. then take a piece of electrical tape, put it on the spool and reel it in. the theory is when you do get a birds nest it will stop at the tape. it will be easier to clean up and if it is a bad one, you won't loose the whole spool of line.

looked like a good idea.

Posted Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 pm

How's it going inkslinger!

I use bait-casting reels pretty often and I always use the thumb to control the spool from backlashing. Like everyone else has said, it comes with practice. However, once you get the hang of it, the baitcast reel is one of the best tools out there.

If you're still having trouble, try investing in a brand called US Reel. It's a baitcast reel that claims to have eliminated the backlash problem entirely. However, I'm still skeptical since I haven't used this brand.

Posted Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links