Looking into switching to Power Pro on all my reels or stick with mono.

Anyone using the newer braided lines like Power Pro I would love to hear what you have to say.

Worth the extra? Any issues with the line? More or less looking for the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Stephen

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 am

I was toying with braid for a bit and have had mixed results.

I use it for almost all my hook length..which you may or may not even bother with if you primarily lure fish. I am a big carp fisherman which means I snell a lot of my own hooks/hair rigs etc where I use a different line then my mainline.

As a mainline I have found that in smaller venues for me it worked well, gave me smooth casting and good control.

I have since switched back to mono mainlines though..or co-polymers but that is splitting hairs.. I have found that in many of the bigger waters I fish where sharp snags are an issue like rock ledges, mussel beds, or shopping carts ( don't ask ) that many of the mono's had much better abrasion tolerance. Many times the braid simply tore through to easily.

That is not to say that braid is bad..and many snags it will perform well in; trees, weed beds, silt and such it has worked fine for me.

Also pay attention to what type of braid..some do not hold knots well at all if they have a heavy coating on them, some almost feel waxxy. You may have to change the type of knot you use in order to get the right strength.

Always run a bit of mono backing first as well..when braid gets wet it can do some strange things if you don't have backing.

so there ya go, take it for what it is worth..

Posted Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Erik,

Thanks for the insight. I might try it one one of each (Fresh and Salt) setups and see what happens. Worst case is I spend a little money but find out first hand how it works for me.

Have seen so many people this past year with it on their reels in both fresh and saltwater applications that I started thinking about using it.

Again, thanks for your time and thoughts.

Stephen

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:32 am

In some cases mono is better for salt water fishing. If you jig with braid it is sensitive but you can also pull it from the fish or tear their mouth. I've had a captain out-fish my buddy 2 to 1 with mono and he had braid. I use braid when i bass fish quite often but be aware if you rub a rock or a sharp object while fighting a fish it pops easier than anything.Cutting it with scissors is tough unless they are sharp.If you pull it tight and hit with butter knife it will snap real easy.
I think like all equipment they have a special use. I like it. But i use a fluro leader most of the time too.

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 pm

power pro all the way, it is 100 times better than mono and lasts an eternity.

Posted Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links