Hi
I rented a 14ft lund wc aluminium boat over the weekend that had a 9.9hp on it, it was so nice that now I am looking to see if I can buy a cheap used one. Craigslist does not seem to have anything, do you know where I can find this kind of boat (or a similar one). I don't care if it is old as long as it is cheap Very Happy
Thanks!
Damien

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Good luck on Craigslist, it took me 14 months to find one, that size/class doesn't last long if priced right. Lund is a great brand, but you pay for the name.

I got a Lowe 2009 1467WT (they purposely made it 13'11" for resale/title purposes) with a 2007 15 HP engine. This was after checking Craigslist multiple times a day looking for the "right" boat. I was the first caller, and thankfully the seller was a man of his word, as people were willing to pay more than the $4500 I paid for it. The seller upgraded to a bigger boat.

I put a deck on the bow, but otherwise the boat was a steal at that price point and condition. If you have a lot of patience, it will pay off. Don't be an impulse buyer, you'll overpay, and dealers are the worst, even slimy - complete ripoff imo if you decide to buy new.

I'll eventually sell mine for an upgrade, or for a ridiculous offer, but in this economy I don't think the demand is as high as when I bought it.

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

"Being patient" is the best advice you will get. The end of the season will have many people selling boats and you may be able to make a sweet deal sooner than you know it. You'll find the right one and soon, good luck for sure!

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

I was thinking to buy a boat and trailer but no motor as I have no idea of how to check if it is good or not and rather put a new 9.9hp (around $2100 - $2500 from what I saw on vendor websited). So i am looking at something like $500-800 for the boat + trailer, do you guys think it is reallistic?

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:20 am

"$500-800 for the boat + trailer, do you guys think it is reallistic?"

Not if you want the boat to float and trailer it on your vehicle. No way for a Lund at that price point, you're looking at cheaper Jon boats, not V-hull like the WC-14 you described, and that may be pushing it.

As for an engine, bring a friend that does know something about them, especially for the size you're looking at - they are easy to maintain and easily identified if they were abused or not (i.e. impeller condition, lube/oil changed, including trailer regularly). If you're set on a 14' V-Hull, you will want the maximum HP the boat is rated for, otherwise you will notice how severely under powered you are.

We're coming up on selling season, and I would use caution on Spring buying, as sellers know impulse buyers are plenty - we fishing types are like that and want to get on the water. Which is ironic since boaters fish towards the shore, while the landlocked mammals fish away (LoL?).

"Be patient" - I know it's hard, I was there once.

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Actually I don't care for the boat being a Lund or something else. I tred a lund and liked it because it was prety stable when big boats were doing waves next to it and seemed quite stable. Is there any other boat with this kind of advantages that you would recommend and that could be cheaper because it is not the big Lund brand?

How about something like this for example?
http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/4646789481.html
It does not look like the hull is as high as on the lund at the bow, is it going to handle the waves as well?

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 pm

I got a alumacraft 14' with a deck already on it, trailer and 6hp for $700 off craigslist at the start of the season.

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 am

ah that is the kind of things I am looking for! Very Happy
what was the age and condition of the boat and motor? did you have to do a lot of work on it?

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:20 am

The boat is a 1976 in great condition, the deck is diamond plate so I am going to have that redone and have carpet put in, motor is a 1969 Johnson and it is clean starts first pull every time. trailer had to replace wench and coupler but it still worked.

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm

These boats are hard to find on Craigslist. Lund's are the Rolex's of aluminum boats. With that being said, I actually bought mine on Craigslist. Got a great deal. Absolutely love the boat - Mr. Pike 16. I have been looking at the WC-14 as a second boat to use in the cartopper lakes. People seem to buy these boats and just keep them. If you watch any of those Alaskan reality shows, it seems that a lot of those people who rely on their boat for survival are running very old well-used Lunds. Good luck.

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:18 am

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/boa/5184048333.html Check that out, I have had great luck with mirrocraft Aluminum boats. My brother currently has a 14fter with a 25hp goes about 30. Handles great and can hold 1,000 lbs. We had the 9.9 Johnson on it before and it cranked about 16 - 18 with 2 people.

Good Luck!

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:44 am

Try the marina on lake winisquam, they sell their rental boats at a reasonable price.
For an outboard motor, I got mine from this guy in Manchester nh. Think it was called "nh outboards" . A 9.5 hp will cost you $390. Mines a 72 evenrude, runs great.

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:33 pm

your only try your area on craigslist . try western mass , Worcester or cape ,Maybe even RI . Heres one in western mass no motor and trailer though .
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/5197054456.html

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links