Does anyone have navigation lights or any other kind of lights on their kayak for night fishing?? Are they a requirement?? If you have lights, what do you use..... I used to go night fishing in Georgia a lot during the summer and want to give it a try here.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:02 pm

The Officer working the Coast Gaurd booth at a fishing show a few years ago told me kayaks,canoes,etc.need 1 white light visible from 360 degrees. I use a 3 ft piece of PVC with a Solar Stake Light ( walkway lights)stuck into the end and I put it in a rodholder on the milk crate behind me on my kayak. Its not bright enough to tie nots or provide me with much light but I can be seen from a pretty good distance away and that's the point so you don't get run over. The Solar Stake Lights reguire no batteries or wiring and you can get them at Walmart for $1 a piece for the cheaper ones,I get a season out of them.

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Sounds good. I can do that easy enough. Thanks. Went out last weekend and got to the lake a little earlier than usual and launched when it was barely getting light. Paddling out into the lake I could fish busting topwater all over the place. Going to go and hit it a little earlier this weekend and hopefully, take advantage of that topwater if it's happening again. Having something that makes me visible only seems like a little common sense.

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:38 pm

I wear a headlamp too for seeing what I'm doing and for added visibility if a boats barelling at me.

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:50 pm

purpleturkey

I use a 3 ft piece of PVC with a Solar Stake Light ( walkway lights)stuck into the end and I put it in a rodholder on the milk crate behind me on my kayak.

Very cool idea, thanks for sharing.

Do you just leave it outside to charge the day before you go? How long does it last for you during an outing?

Posted Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:27 am

I leave it stuck in the ground next to my walkway,lol, I grab it when I need it.I've only gone a few hours at a time at night and its stayed charged .I got up at 4a.m. to fish this morning and it was still shining bright so that was 7-8 hours overnight it was on.

Posted Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 am

I use this light and a head lamp with red or green so you don't screw up your night vision.

http://www.yakattack.us/category_s/1819.htm

Posted Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links