I recently went on a trip to Lake Powell (Utah) and severely wished I had a telescopic to take on the trip due to packing constraints. I ended up bringing an old collapsible rod (found it in my dad's shed, not even sure where it really came from) that broke on my third fish (~1lb small mouth). I would love to get a rod that is super portable so I can take it with me when I travel. It is immensely better being able to fish with your own equipment, so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I am a spin cast guy who mainly goes for bass, but would like this rod to be versatile enough to grab some fresh water stripers if available.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't own one but I know St. Croix makes a collapsible travel rod for spinning and casting gear. I think it's from their triumph series. I don't know if it's designed more for trout (ultralight power) or not. From experience I can tell you that St. Croix makes quality rods so definitely check out that one I mentioned.

Last edited by baystateangler on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Keep in mind that telescoping rods are not the strongest rods you can use as they always get stress fractures in the joints.

Travel and pack combos

Above is a link for the type of rods you are looking for.

I would also suggest that you might be better off getting a 4 piece 8 wt fly rod and matching reel. Nothing too expensive but something like a Scientific Anglers Species Specific Fly Fishing Outfit Combo.

I personally own two of these combos, the 6wt & the 8wt, and they are ready to fish right out of the box.

Although I would change out the 9 foot tapered leader for a 36 inch 10# mono leader tied to a No Knot eyelet.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks for the insight! I have heard that the telescopic rods or less rugged, but I was thinking a quality brand like St. Croix might have solved this problem. I'm going to look into some other rods that break apart rather than telescoping to achieve the short length I desire for travelling.
Was originally thinking it would just be used for trips where space is at a premium, but now I'm thinking I could possibly spend a little more and keep it in my car to use a few times a week. I reached our to St. Croix to get some input directly from them. I'll keep my progress posted to hopefully help others out along the way.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 am

According to to this source Vintage St. Croix Telescoping rod

St. Croix stopped making telescoping rods in 1993.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes, St. Croix no longer makes a telescoping rod but they DO make a 4-piece collapsible (travel) rod that is available online and in stores. Two different things. Probably perfect for your purposes lizardking420.
Here's a link: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11335456&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.23087286.21212536.21212556&categoryId=21212766
It's actually part of the Triumph series.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:43 pm

I travel with my full size rods a lot, you can look into getting a tube to transport them. But I will admit it is a pain in the butt. Airlines can stick you with oversize luggage fees. And the fact that some TSA agents think rod case are accordions and will try and collapse them with the rods still in them.

G Loomis makes a awesome travel rod but its a bit pricey.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:13 pm

hey Lizardlips..hehe.There's allot of flyrods that are compact,by design.I have an extra 3pc flyrod & reel that I never use.It is a 5-6 wt. and some floating line.It is a bit too small for what you really want,but it would be great to learn to cast with.I'll show you.Beware!you might get addicted to the fly.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Hey guys, I got a telescopic carbon fiber chinese rod for $19, and it has blown me away so far. Thought I twas going to kill it when I hooked into a 4lb bass, but it help up firmly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBV7WV4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Got the 7' version. Actually decent backbone to it too.

Edit: looks like it's $24.99 now

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 am

sandman62

hey Lizardlips..hehe.There's allot of flyrods that are compact,by design.I have an extra 3pc flyrod & reel that I never use.It is a 5-6 wt. and some floating line.It is a bit too small for what you really want,but it would be great to learn to cast with.I'll show you.Beware!you might get addicted to the fly.

fly rod !!! I know a couple girls that use em lol. !!!!

Posted Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 am

Ah cool,"dang".Girls that fish? I'm there.

Posted Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

I can't help you with a telescoping rod, but recommend Diawa's Ardito travel rod. I keep it behind my truck's seat for those 'just in case' stops.

It's a 7' M/Fast casting rod. I find it sensitive and typical Diawa fit and finish (read: exceptional). It breaks down to 3 pieces and comes with a lined, semi-hard, zippered case.

Like others, I also have a Plano travel tube that holds 3 or 4 rods, depending on how you pack. I flew Jet Blue with it and wasn't charged additional fees.

Posted Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links