I picked up a Jawbone Frog at Dick's. I think it's their store brand. Was only 2.99 so couldn't pass it up. I used it in some lily pads this weekend. Got at least a dozen hits but none of them got hooked. So...just wondering if there is a technique besides the twitch twitch stop I should try. Or are all frogs not created equal. btw the pads were the smaller ones and not too dense. Thanks.

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:09 pm

What are you using for a rod ,reel and line? heavy rods with 50lb braid is a must. Drill the fish as soon as you see the hit. I see people say wait...... what are you waiting for? If you see the fish hit the bait, by the time you react he has it already SET THE HOOK!!!

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm basically just a casual fisherman. Just getting back into fishing after 20 years or so. Mostly because my son is really into it since we went on a fishing trip this summer. As far as my gear goes I have a 6'6" ugly stick medium action I don't know much about the reel except that it just came with the rod as part of the combo and that it's a Shakespeare. I have 10 lb monofilament line spooled onto the reel. Is there a clarity vantage to the braided line ? As mentioned earlier I'm just kind of a casual angler and not excited about the idea of changing my fishing line too often but who knows that may change in the future and I'm always up for learning something new.

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Too much stretch in the line and not enough backbone in the rod to get a good hookset. And if you were to get one hooked, 10 pound mono in pads is a bad combo. Not saying it will never work, but you are going to have a lot of swing and misses based on the set up.

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:52 am

johnnysac

Thanks for your response. I'm basically just a casual fisherman. Just getting back into fishing after 20 years or so. Mostly because my son is really into it since we went on a fishing trip this summer. As far as my gear goes I have a 6'6" ugly stick medium action I don't know much about the reel except that it just came with the rod as part of the combo and that it's a Shakespeare. I have 10 lb monofilament line spooled onto the reel. Is there a clarity vantage to the braided line ? As mentioned earlier I'm just kind of a casual angler and not excited about the idea of changing my fishing line too often but who knows that may change in the future and I'm always up for learning something new.

if your not using baitcasting tackle which to me is a must , go with a 40 size spinning reel with 30# braid and a 7 ft heavy or extra heavy spinning rod

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks for the awesome info guys. I get it. I need thicker stronger line and a beefier rod to rip through the grasses, pads, and weeds and to set the hook. I don't think I'll be making any major investments this fall as far as gear goes. Just basically getting back into fishing. I do have some 20 lb mono I could put on the reel. But not going to invest in another rod or reel at this time. However, that being said, it was really fun fishing with that little frog. So I've got a couple more questions for you all. Is it worthwhile trying to fish the frog in open water like a top water lure ala jitterbug? Next question... If I were to invest in a stouter rod what might be a good bang for the buck? Because I know myself. I'm calling myself a casual fisherman but I can't remember the last weekend I haven't taken my son fishing since I bought us a couple of rodds and tackle in the beginning of September.

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:02 pm

I have some more expensive gear but I generally stick with cheapo to midrange priced gear( I'm sure many are going to disagree with me)Bass Pro brand stuff works pretty well and they have all different price ranges.Also now is the time Walmart starts Clearancing Stuff,keep your eyes open,I've gotten a couple OK baitcast rods that were originally kinda pricey for next to nothing by searching thru there discount stuff at the end of the season.

Posted Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 am

You can throw the frog open water if the top water bite is on, however its much more effective around heavy cover like docks weeds trees pads etc etc.

Ive always had good luck with the bass pro reels and shimano sellus rods, but that is about as cheap as I would go. I know your looking for cheap but that is a $100+ for the combo is about as cheap as i would go

Posted Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks for the great info guys.

Posted Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links