Has anyone fished for the stocked trout in Ponkapoag Brook (Westwood/Canton border...near Greenlodge St.) before? I might go there tomorrow despite the snow and give it a shot. Although it is winter, trout can still be quite active in certain areas of a river. If I go, I plan on using light spinning gear with in-line spinners and maybe powerbait.

- I live near the Amtrak Station and near Greenlodge Street, so if any of you guys have had success on either the Neponset or Ponkapoag Brook in that area, please let me know. Thanks

- Matt

Posted Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 pm

PM me if you can even find it. It's the tiniest trickle of water and that runs from Ponkapoag Pond through two golf courses, some back yards, and finally dumps into the Neponset River down by the Route 128 T station. I've seen it on the map. A friend of mine, a long-time Canton resident and avid fly fisherman, has been unable to find a fishable section. We suspect they must dump the trout in at one of the golf course holding ponds. Needless to say, I doubt very seriously if trout could even hold over in that small water. It's only stocked in the spring and it's a warm water brook that barely runs in the summer. The Neponset is also a warm water river not conducive to trout survival (and pretty dirty to boot).

The only local water that I can confirm that trout hold over is Houghton's Pond because it gets a fall stocking. Fall 2014 was awesome, and ice-out 2015 was also good, the rest of 2015 not so much. Fall 2015 absolutely sucked for trout and I don't hold out much hope for early 2016 until they do the spring stocking. But I'll be there just the same, beating the water, every hopeful.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:28 am

Traphole Brook in Walpole still holds trout. It used to be great fishing long ago, but you can no longer access most of it because no one will allow you on their property to walk the river like they did when I was a kid.

But there are still some spots that you can access and catch trout, like the little pond on Summer Street, on both sides of Route 1 by Monster Mini Golf and Pier 1, and a few other spots.

I don't know if you'll catch anything big there these days, but it's close to the Ponkapoag area at least.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links