My friend and I are heading to boston this memorial weekend and we are both trying to land our first carp. If you could recommend a specific spot or any tips such as tackle that would be great. Thanks!

Posted Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Sweet corn. Chum the water. Once you know your bait is on the ground and not snagged up, don't move it. Corn holds pretty tight, so you can be confident letting it soak.Bring a net (I lost 2 at shore my first time carp fishing.).

I caught my first carp at a spot on the charles a guy vaguely mentioned on a youtube video (I hit a map and checked every bridge in town till I found it.). I went to that spot religously until the water rose and forced me to try a random spot. I caught one at spot 2 in less than 10 minutes. Since then, my buddy Mike and I have caught em everywhere in our area on the charles.

Muskiebigfish's profile has great carp info. Sweet corn, net, patience. I wouldn't recommend doing much more research...it'll make you second guess your methods. Post your results. Good luck!

Posted Thu May 22, 2014 9:11 pm

thebeardedclam

My friend and I are heading to boston this memorial weekend and we are both trying to land our first carp. If you could recommend a specific spot or any tips such as tackle that would be great. Thanks!

Walk around the Esplanade until you see one. No need to sit at a spot. Look around over hanging branches they will be there. If your quiet you can throw a bait right on top of them.

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 7:32 am

thelucky: Have you spot caught a carp? I've never had the opportunity, but I am quite skeptical of it.

I've never seen anyone with carp pictures here recommend it either.

Check out this video 'Charles River Dedham':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4oZY7Amog0

I went to the spot in the video, and lost 2 or 3 my first trip. I went back the next day with a net, my buddy, and my kid (see the picture). We caught two.

This is the Dedham Medical Center, on Lyons St in Dedham.

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 am

live4fish

thelucky: Have you spot caught a carp? I've never had the opportunity, but I am quite skeptical of it.

I have the patience of a 5 year old in a toy store, I can't sit and wait for something to happen when fishing. The only time I'll carp fish is when I sight fish for them. There are 4 pools at the Esplanade that you can walk around where the max depth is 4ft, the carp are easy to spot, they will be right on the bank. They will spook easy so you need to be light footed. They will always be carp underneath the tree branches during mid day.

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 9:40 am

Wow. That's really cool. I'm used to low visibility muck...

I don't have much patience either. I work artificials when soaking corn, putz around with my kid, whatever...

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to boston Sunday morning can't wait, hopefully I can catch my first.

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Let us know how you do. Good luck!!!

Posted Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 pm

[/quote]

I have the patience of a 5 year old in a toy store, I can't sit and wait for something to happen when fishing. The only time I'll carp fish is when I sight fish for them. There are 4 pools at the Esplanade that you can walk around where the max depth is 4ft, the carp are easy to spot, they will be right on the bank. They will spook easy so you need to be light footed. They will always be carp underneath the tree branches during mid day.[/quote]

Hi, I'm new to the site, and I've been looking for some good sight fishing around Boston. I read this post and it seemed like a good spot, but I'm new to the area, and don't know where the Esplanade is! I did a simple Google Maps search, but it turned up 4 or 5 results, and none of them appeared to have ponds behind them. Help! Thanks.

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 am

Welcome! They are talking about the Charles River so you can google Charles River Esplanade it'll show you right where you need to be.

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:16 am

Cool, thanks a lot. So there are some nice pools along the river in this spot? Sounds good. I'm looking forward to heading up to that spot soon.

Oh, and has anybody caught any BIG carp from that area? I'm really just looking to get my first Charles River carp, but if there are some big carp on the area it would be cool.

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:36 am

If I tried this over the weekend, would I need to go all the way to the Watertown Dam to make it work? Any shot of finding these things around Harvard or BU?

Posted Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links