Hello all, my name is Paul.

Getting back into fishing.

On the advice of a friend I just purchased Okuma Avenger ABF-40b and a Berkley Lightning Rod.

When not fishing and learning from him, I will be taking myself to Quabbin or the Westfield River in West Springfield near Mitteneague.

My questions would be what to fish and where to fish the Westfield River during different times and season.

Thank you in advance!

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Paul and welcome to the site!
I'm out in WMass as well, and have only hit the area of the Westfield River you noted for Smallmouth. Have had more success for them up near the center of town.
To help you out more, will you be fishing from shore? Kayak?
Also, what species are you targeting in particular? I may be able to help you out for bass, but the only Trout I land are bycatch.

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 am

Thank you Rivethead!

I will be fishing from shore. Mitteneague Park is a short walk for me. I planned on fishing the river in the old Strathmore Mill area or possibly Hampton ponds.

I am open to any and all suggestions as to what fish and how to catch them.

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:42 pm

You should do fine in hose areas for a number of species. Hampton Ponds are stocked with Trout yearly and have plenty of Largemouth, Panfish, and Pickerel. Trout and Smallmouth in the Westfield.
If you're using lures, there's a ton of good info all over this site (and others) to get you started. Floating and suspending jerkbaits are good to start with. They'll catch everything that swims. Experiment with colors.

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Have only fished Deerfield and CT River, did not know about Westfield River, will have to check that out. Are there any places to shore fish it from that are accessible?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 am

Thank you Rivethead, I will give the lures a try and experiment with colors. Pickerel and Trout and Smallmouth all sound great.

@ ejoy. Plenty of area are accessible either through Robinson State Forest or Mitteneague Park or all along RT 20. I'm still too new to give you exact spots.

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:59 am

go uprt 20 through westfield and hit the river going out past the golf course .

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Thank you. Up past Tekoa? Fishing for trout? Power Bait?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links