The ninth event of the season will be held at Lake Nippenicket. We will be launching from the state ramp. The lake is EXTREMELY low right now, so we shouldn't have to contend with any big boats.

Please note the start/end times for this one—7 AM to 3 PM.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/aoBQdrUk8p22 (74 Lakeside Drive, Bridgewater, MA)

Check-in: 5:30–6:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 6:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 7 AM to 3 PM

Entry Fee: $50

Special rules for this event:

1. The river is in bounds.

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/826874930790757

See below for official rules.

Hope to see you there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

e. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

d. A PFD (i.e. life vest) must be worn at ALL times.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Last edited by kenwood on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 am

Gonna be a nice day, come on down!

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:30 am

I'm in

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Report and results...

Tournament #9 is in the rearview!

It was a calm, chilly, foggy start on Lake Nippenicket this morning. We had six anglers, including newcomer Justin Rollo, who joined us for his first tournament ever. We paid out two spots plus lunker.

As usual at the Nip, some of us struggled, while others caught a lot of small fish. Water levels are extremely low, but the fish were biting, at least. It wasn't on fire or anything, but everyone caught fish.

I got my first and biggest fish early, on a Picasso Lures chatterbait. I was hoping that was a pattern, but I never got another bite on it all day. I caught another on a Fat Ika, and then two more on a Spintrix Underspin, with a soft plastic swimbait trailer. I lost one other bass, had a huge blow-up on the frog, which might have been a pickerel, but aside from a few pickerel and a crappie, that was all I caught.

I didn't get my fourth fish until 2:54.

Donald Davis and Bruce Levy (Bam Thebassman) both caught a lot of fish, but they couldn't find any kicker bass. Don's biggest five went 73 inches even, which was enough to squeak past Bruce's 71.75 for a second-place finish.

Chris Diranian struggled for the first four hours with no bites—until he took off the perch-colored Whopper Plopper and tied on, I think, the blue gill-colored Plopper. Today, that's what the big girls wanted. A couple of them, anyway.

Chris's biggest fish went 20.5 inches, while his five went 75.5, good enough for both lunker and first place!

Congrats, fellas! Well deserved on a tough day.

Our next tournament—and final "official" tournament of the year—will be at Norton Reservoir on October 8, 7 AM to 3 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/events/175227919545884/

We'll do some additional tournaments after that, maybe play around with some different formats and such, so if you can't make the Norton event, pay attention to the page for announcements about those upcoming tournaments. They will likely be more last-minute, weather-permitting, etc.

Congrats again, guys! And as always, thanks for coming out! =)

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links