Hey guys,

I've been out fishin about 4 times this month. Twice with my boat (one of which I had a fishfinder) & Twice from shore. Now I know that fishin in the late afternoon is better for early spring but, I'll take what I can get & that usually means mornings before work.

I was hoping that someone could take a look at a topo map of Horn Pond & give some suggestions on where to start looking for bass? I've tried north/west side of pond but only caught a small bass. I know that i'm looking for shallow flats where bass usually spawn & to look for the warmest water which I found last week to be the cove or bay on the south end of pond ( I did find a bass on friday morning in that area). The water is stained which makes it hard to see structure & cover. Any help would be great!
Confused

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwhorn.pdf

Posted Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 pm

definitely that southern 'boot'-shaped end - the whole thing, not just the back end.

That lake seems to drop off to deeper water fairly quickly which is usually a good feature to look for during certain times of the year, but when it's the entire lake, it tends to lose it's "uniqueness"...

The northern/north-eastern end seems to be more gradual in depth change, so that would probably be another place I'd concentrate on in spring & fall. That point/pocket adjacent to the mid-lake island might be good too.

I'd start at the boot and work my way along the western shore going north to the point/pocket, then the northeastern flat area, concentrating on water depths of 7' or less... and like you said, looking for warmer water.

good luck!

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Tony

Thanks for the help. I haven't fish this pond this early in the year before so, I'm having a hard time locating fish. The deeper water close to shallow flats is hard to reach from shore. But even when I'm out in my boat still can't seem to find em. I'll keep pluggin along!! Laughing

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I took the water temp yesterday(I live in Middleboro) and it was 58° - so it's real close to spawning time, so I'd look for the quietest, least current, shallowest spots. Hard bottom, like sand, is better than muck, but they'll take what they can get... if the weather is nice, I'll fish even as shallow as a foot deep! If it's unstable, like its been these last few days, just fish abit deeper near those same spots.

They don't all spawn at the same time, so there's pre-spawn/spawn/post-spawn all at the same time. The full moons of April and May are generally accepted as THE time for largemouths spawn.

jerkbaits & spinnerbaits are good for searching, then slow down and pull out the Senkos, lizards, craws, Sluggos...

fishing action should really start picking up any day now!

(sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a 'know-it-all', for sure - I'm just wicked excited!! I love this time of year!) Laughing

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:31 pm

The coves near the big parking lot side were loaded with beds last year. Also the cove across from the island.

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 pm

I have the answer to this thread...... Chuck and Marks Livewell, lol

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links