Hi all,

I have a tournament at GHP next weekend, and was hoping that someone on here had a bit of knowledge of the water. I'm mainly looking for a couple of solid spawning/staging areas to cut down the amount of water to search. Any pointers are welcome, though! I had a pre-fish planned for this weekend, but my boat ride fell through on account of the weather, and the jon boat got scared looking at the chops.

Feel free to send a message.

Thanks!

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:34 pm

never been there myself, but here's the map and some fish info for ya:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwgrea.pdf

seems to be a smallmouth lake - those 2 mid-lake humps might be okay for crankbaits. That big point just north of the hump on the east side looks good... there are 2 more points if you follow it around to the east and it forms a big pocket. The water might(should) be warmer in the pocket than out on the main lake. My local water(Middleboro) was 54° today, so it's still pre-spawn.

smallmouth = look for rocks.

good luck at the tourney!

*edit: here's the google satellite map for 'real-world' detail:

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1AVST_enUS362US365&q=Great%20Herring%20Pond&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Forgot to say thanks for the advice. Ultimately I was stuck doing whatever my boater thought was right, which was only semi-productive. Turned out the fish had already started moving onto beds, so the pre-spawn areas were only semi-productive.

Posted Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Was looking for the results of the GHP trip. Did not see any. Come on up with the goods (even the bads)

Posted Mon May 10, 2010 8:54 am

I have 3 trips or so that I need to post, hopefuly I can get them done of the next few days. But the brief summary was as follows:

Tournament ran from 7am to 3pm. Weather was sunny, with wind ranging from barely there to a small hurricane. Water tems were in the high 50s to low 60s, and the water there is clear as all hell.

My boater caught 3 fish in the first few hours, all on a green pumpkin tube in 10-15 feet of water. I was getting nothing on shallow jerkbaits, deep jerkbaits, jigs, dropshotting, or on lipless cranks. The second half of the day was friendlier to me, with one barely 12" smalliekeeper on a chartreuse shad ima flit 100 jerkbait up shallow and a slightly better smallie on a dropshot on the dropoff of one of the midlake humps. Total was 2 SM for 1.98 lbs, good for 12th out of 23.

Tournament big bag was just over 9.3 lbs, lunker LM and SM were both a shade under 3 lbs. The people who did well mostly got onto a bed bite in the afternoon.

My streak of rough tournaments in clear water continues, although this was an improvement over previous ones. Next up is Long Pond in Harwich/Brewster, which is more of the same. Looks like the spawn will be over by then, which means chasing post-spawn fish around.

Posted Mon May 10, 2010 11:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links