I bought a Mepp's Lure and would like to know if any one has any luck with these for Bass or what do think about them.

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 9:58 pm

no..I jig those ice fishing sometimes...no and never
SORRY BUB

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 pm

they work well when there aren't any weeds. I've caught a lot of bass on them, smallmouth and largemouth. usually use a #3 or #4 with silver spoon and the brown/black skirt. Also caught a few pike and pickerel on them. I'd use them more but most of the spots I fish in are too weedy

Posted Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 am

is it the inline spinner with the treble hook? GREAT lure. I have caught so many bass, crappies & trout on those, I can't even count... they're fantastic in current, like rivers & streams. I always tie em on with a good quality snap swivel as they will twist your line.

But yeah, if the weeds are too thick, you'll hang up instantly.

Here's a bass & pickerel caught on another brand of that same kind of lure(you might recognize the spot - it's the same place we were talking about the other day!):

These were caught on a Roostertail, but I actually prefer the Mepps version. I find the Mepps spin better, whereas the Roostertails get hung up on themselves too easily, wasting a cast.

Posted Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 pm

#3 Black Fury Yellow Dot is what I got and was planing on getting a #4 or #5 and some other type and color and spoons. So use only open water with no lilly pad's and weed's ok!

Posted Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 pm

inkslinger

#3 Black Fury Yellow Dot is what I got and was planing on getting a #4 or #5 and some other type and color and spoons. So use only open water with no lilly pad's and weed's ok!

yup, that's a good color - the pickerel should eat that up! Silver and especially gold blades are good too in the tea-colored water we have around here. Those are perfect sizes too for bass, etc.

this is probably my all-time favorite Mepps spinner:

(but I prefer the #3 size 99% of the time)

Posted Tue May 11, 2010 12:32 am

I like that one too, only with a skirt, sometimes a silver spoon, and definitely a #3 or 4 for bass

Posted Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links