Got out this morning before work. Caught a nice 1 lber under & around a tree. Took me 5 or six casts, first with a stick worm, then got a bite with lizard. I couldn't see a nest but he was chasing off blue gill & not leaving the area.

Then I continued down the shore, where I saw a pair of LMB cruising along close to where blue gill were hanging around. But didn't go after them at all? I made a few casts but the weren't interested at all. Continued my shore line search & saw this time three LMB doing the same, again not interested in the lizard.

Just before I left I saw nice 3 lb female under a tree just circling it. I tried every soft plastic I had, even dropping it on its head & still no reaction?

OK so, I know that the fish I caught was showing spawning type behavior. But what about the cruisers & the big female just sitting there?

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 pm

it doesn't seem spawning bass are as active as people think. I haven't caught anything worth taking a picture of in the past 2 weeks. they seem to be intent on protecting the nests and thats about it. apparently your lures don't pose much of a threat to the fry/eggs whatever. any other bass I've caught hasn't been more than 12 or 13 inches.

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah, same hear. That's the first fish I've caught in 2 weeks.

But what about the fish cruising? Are they looking to spawn or done spawning? And that big female, I thought females didn't guard the nest?

This weekend is when I started fishing last year. I didn't know anything about spawning bass. I didn't catch my fist LMB til July 14th. I've learned so much from websites like this one. But, sometimes I feel like I still have alot more to learn Laughing

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 6:52 pm

I have seen at Horn pond in fact pairs of bass swimming along with schools of fry. I think after they hatch they are gaurded for a certain amount of time. I have seen this several times. The bass absolutely were not feeding on this fry. they were gaurding them for sure. Its possible thats what you were seeing and you did not see the tiny schools of freshly hatched bass. It could be the sunfish were trying to eat the fry and thats why you saw them around these cruising bass. It is just a guess based upon what I have seen.

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Should I have been throwing a blue gill pattern crank bait?

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 pm

you can learn a ton by site fishing, but sometimes what you learn is they dont care what you throw, sometimes they just dont bite.

is the main ramp at Horn open yet ?

Posted Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 pm

No not yet. The city is pouring a foundation. Not sure what its for, but it looks like their going to be working there for a long time.

There is a smaller boat ramp on the other side that's open.

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 9:05 am

I think the majority of largemouth bass are done spawning - of course, there's some left somewhere, but I think it's mostly finished... the other day I could see literally dozens of bluegill spawning beds(I live in Middleboro) - like dinnerplates cleared away on the bottom in the shallows.

Bass spawn first - and the bluegills like to eat the bass eggs/fry - then bluegills spawn - and the bass like to eat the bluegills! hehehe

For the most part, I think the bass are still recuperating, so I'd go abit deeper near spawning sites to find some action.

'Deep' is relative, of course... if that spawning cove is 3 feet deep, then the 6 foot deep mouth of that cove might be a better bet.

That being said, there are always some fish hold up in shallow cover - the weed mats are starting to form, so get out those topwater frogs(yes!!! one of my all-time favorite ways to fish) for morning/evening action, and flip worms & jigs into those pockets during the hot sunny part of the day.

I had 2 Stanley Ribbit frogs stolen from me in the weeds 2 days ago - and I was using 30lb Spiderwire braid! ...damn razor-toothed pickerel... Laughing

Posted Sun May 30, 2010 9:11 am

Hi Guys

New here, but have quite afew years chasing these green/brown fish. Spent afew years doing some hardcore spawn fishing to learn more about how they act and react to different lures etc..saw bass in all different stages of the spawn.

The bass you are seeing are in some stage of the spawn no doubt,if anyone is looking to learn more about these great fish I recommend picking up a copy of "Bigmouth" by Glen Lau,it was filmed back in the 60's I think,actually there is a whole series made up of 5 or so videos "Bigmouth Forever" is another.

Some incredible footage of a HUGE bass inhaling a crankbait and then spitting it out without the angler ever knowing he got a bite. Also all different stages of the spawn as well.Another scene has famous fisherman Hank Parker trolling around a cove in a bass boat,the screen shows him enter a cover far away and gradually works his way around to a stump which the camera show a half/half view,half underwater and half above. There is a stump with afew bass on it,he first throws a worm I think,they dont even bug, then he throws a spinnerbait and one clobbers it,its some pretty cool footage.

The female will actually guard the fry later on after they have hatched. If you ever see the water look like a school of baitfish just got spooked(water looks like someone sprayed a lite mist of water on top)its a good chance that there is a ball of bait/fry nearby and a female guarding them.

Best of luck out there,if you have questions dont hesitate to send me a message,Iam no KVD but do have close to 20 years tournament fishing.

FYI - I have no connection to Glen Lau or the video's I mentioned.

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I went fish this morning. Saw 5 or 6 bass cruising around again. I also could see these 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 LMB guarding fry. It was really cool to see what everyone had posted about cruising fish. If I didn't have my polarized glasses with me I would have never seen the big ball of fry & LMB circling around them chasing off the blue gill. I tied on a bluegill pattern spinner bait from Strike King, which worked really well! Laughing

Posted Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links